Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Wagon Camber Kit Installation info

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As others have said i dont think its camber as such... i've never seen them wear like that.

i have a VS IRS rear on sssl rears and about 50mm of inside edge is the main wear and it feathers towards the centre.
nothing like that. maybe over inflated or a dodgy tyre from new being higher in that stip then the rest of the tyre.. are they old?

May I ask how it could be over inflated? Isn't air pressure all through the tyre rather than the edge of a tyre?

Normally air pressure is PSI....Pound per square inch....Maybe I'm wrong with that assumption

Doesn't underinflation show up on both edges, rather than one edge?

Alternatively, doesn't over inflation show up in the centre, rather than an edge?

That's the way I was taught many years ago

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I will leave this for others to decide whether they believe the interweb over tyre wear patterns....

https://www.telletire.com/tire-wear-patterns/

To me, the OP's tyre wear appears to feather down from the outer edge to the inner edge...The outer having more tread than the inner, judging by the tread depth indicators..

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Looks like unusual wear looking at the pic of the tyre. Normally the inside edge would be totally worn out. But your tyre wear looks more towards the inner centre and inside edge looks normal.

Maybe tyres are the issue or wrong tyre pressures (too high)
It actually doesn't look too bad for a VT
Thanks for your reply Forcedvp.

Tyre pressures are at 38psi. I think the photo may make the wear look different. The inside tread is down to the marker and the outside tread is a couple of mm away from the marker. I've attatched a photo of the tyre as I started lifting the rear with the jack. This really emphasises the uneven wear.

Thanks again for the reply

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 71

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Got a photo where the control arms bolt in the centre near the diff....Might help us see if it has a camber kit

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Use Google to help. Everything's there, just type in what you're looking for. VT Holden camber kit rear ...
https://automotivesuperstore.com.au...yq2DZ7ZBuaqji0x8hpiU3QJDMsVM05CYaAr0DEALw_wcB
I'm guessing you don't work on cars much which is fine. Buy just FYI, those rear shocks are super easy to replace. If you can use a socket set you can do those yourself. Just buy a quality new pair and fit them first off. Springs are less likely to wear out but shocks only last 5 years or so.
Thanks greenacc.

Yeah, you're right. I'm not a trained mechanic, just rely on YouTube and fantastic forums like this. Thanks for the encouragement. Replacing the springs and shocks sounds like something I could have a go at.

Cheers again.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks vc commodore.

Is this in the right area?

Thanks again.

Yes right area, but need to see the bolt/nut head to be sure.....

Bushes are aftermarket, which makes it quite possible there is a kit there

And yes it is a pain to get a picture of

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
I have a vt wagon too. Years ago the rear wheels where looking like old vw rear wheels (/ \).
I put new shocks to fix that problem & did work.

I also had a problem with the way the rear of the car sat. Drivers side sitting lower than passenger. Tried replacing the springs. No work. Took both out & compared them to each other. The same.
What l ended up finding out was the rubber insulators between the seat & spring have different thicknesses. Example passenger side maybe 6 mm thick. The drivers side may have been 18 mm thick. You could buy different thicknesses.

What did l do? Cut down a bump stop, had good thick material. Fixed the level. Was now even. Still in there.

This is possible 2014, so 9 years ago.
Thanks Lex.

That's some great info.

I have attached some photos what the left rear stance looks like compared to the right. The right tyre has similar wear, but no where near as bad as the left.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• left stance rear.jpg
    left stance rear.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 53
  • right stance rear.jpg
    right stance rear.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 58

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Yes right area, but need to see the bolt/nut head to be sure.....

Bushes are aftermarket, which makes it quite possible there is a kit there

And yes it is a pain to get a picture of
Haha. I'll try to get a photo in a little while.

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Thanks for all of the replies guys.

My brother said that he got heavy duty springs back in the day and that it used to sit up a bit at the back without a load and a half tank of fuel. As you can see by the photos, it definitely isn't sagging. This makes me think that the shockies are well over due for replacement.

Attachments

• left stance.jpg
    left stance.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 51
  • right stance.jpg
    right stance.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 54