Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Wagon Camber Kit Installation info

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hello Everyone.

I’ve searched through a great of old posts, back in mid and late naughties, but can’t find any “how to” posts on this. There was a fair bit of conversation around, just “paying someone to do it”, and the costs involved.
Unfortunately, the costs have changed astronomically, (I have been quoted $1100), and the kits are as cheap as $110 on eBay.
I am in Perth and I was wondering whether anyone else has someone that they can point me towards or, alternatively, point me to a proper step by step guide.
The K-mac link on one of the threads no longer exists and I can only find a web address for K-mac in the US. The one page instructions are confusing.
I rang my brother today, who was the only owner of the car from new, and he said that he seems to remember getting a kit installed back in the early naughties, not long after fitting the lpg donut tank in the spare wheel well.
I have attached a photo of the underside of the right hand rear wheel because I don’t know where to look to see if a kit has been installed. Am I looking in the right area?
If a kit is installed, would it be possible to still adjust it or do I need a new kit installed?
As you can see in the other photo, the wear is pretty pronounced.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 70

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hello Everyone.

I’ve searched through a great of old posts, back in mid and late naughties, but can’t find any “how to” posts on this. There was a fair bit of conversation around, just “paying someone to do it”, and the costs involved.
Unfortunately, the costs have changed astronomically, (I have been quoted $1100), and the kits are as cheap as $110 on eBay.
I am in Perth and I was wondering whether anyone else has someone that they can point me towards or, alternatively, point me to a proper step by step guide.
The K-mac link on one of the threads no longer exists and I can only find a web address for K-mac in the US. The one page instructions are confusing.
I rang my brother today, who was the only owner of the car from new, and he said that he seems to remember getting a kit installed back in the early naughties, not long after fitting the lpg donut tank in the spare wheel well.
I have attached a photo of the underside of the right hand rear wheel because I don’t know where to look to see if a kit has been installed. Am I looking in the right area?
If a kit is installed, would it be possible to still adjust it or do I need a new kit installed?
As you can see in the other photo, the wear is pretty pronounced.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Hi Guys.

I haven't had any replies so I went to a mechanic that my wife uses to get another quote.
They want to have a good look at it as they reckon that the springs and shockies are probably at least 20 years old and the camber kit may not be the problem.

I'll update this post after they have had a look and given me a quote.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Looks like unusual wear looking at the pic of the tyre. Normally the inside edge would be totally worn out. But your tyre wear looks more towards the inner centre and inside edge looks normal.

Maybe tyres are the issue or wrong tyre pressures (too high)
It actually doesn't look too bad for a VT

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Use Google to help. Everything's there, just type in what you're looking for. VT Holden camber kit rear ...
https://automotivesuperstore.com.au...yq2DZ7ZBuaqji0x8hpiU3QJDMsVM05CYaAr0DEALw_wcB
I'm guessing you don't work on cars much which is fine. Buy just FYI, those rear shocks are super easy to replace. If you can use a socket set you can do those yourself. Just buy a quality new pair and fit them first off. Springs are less likely to wear out but shocks only last 5 years or so.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
If a kit was installed & is in servicable condition (nothing lasts for ever), it should be adjustable.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Use Google to help. Everything's there, just type in what you're looking for. VT Holden camber kit rear ...
https://automotivesuperstore.com.au...yq2DZ7ZBuaqji0x8hpiU3QJDMsVM05CYaAr0DEALw_wcB
I'm guessing you don't work on cars much which is fine. Buy just FYI, those rear shocks are super easy to replace. If you can use a socket set you can do those yourself. Just buy a quality new pair and fit them first off. Springs are less likely to wear out but shocks only last 5 years or so.
I have a vt wagon too. Years ago the rear wheels where looking like old vw rear wheels (/ \).
I put new shocks to fix that problem & did work.

I also had a problem with the way the rear of the car sat. Drivers side sitting lower than passenger. Tried replacing the springs. No work. Took both out & compared them to each other. The same.
What l ended up finding out was the rubber insulators between the seat & spring have different thicknesses. Example passenger side maybe 6 mm thick. The drivers side may have been 18 mm thick. You could buy different thicknesses.

What did l do? Cut down a bump stop, had good thick material. Fixed the level. Was now even. Still in there.

This is possible 2014, so 9 years ago.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
From the picture you posted, it is hard to say if a kit has been installed...They are put in the control arms where they bolt to the sub frame.

You need to take a photo more towards the centre of the car for us to see if one has been installed.

As for whether it is a shock/spring issue, it is possible.....

I found with IRS suspensions (ie what you have), the best solution was air bags....They go inbetween the springs.....

Reason being is, when a car is aligned, it is done as the car sits.....So when you go and add weight into the car, you lower the car (even slightly), therefore changing the settings, which can cause wear issues....

Adding airbags, you make a note of the height, so when you add stuff to the back, you can put air into them to get the car back to how it sat when it was aligned....

So another thing to check into

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Looks like unusual wear looking at the pic of the tyre. Normally the inside edge would be totally worn out. But your tyre wear looks more towards the inner centre and inside edge looks normal.

Maybe tyres are the issue or wrong tyre pressures (too high)
It actually doesn't look too bad for a VT

The wear starts from the centre and moves towards the inner edge. The edge is worn more than the rest of the tyre though :)

Looking at this picture, the tyre hasn't worn that far do wear the edge totally out....Give it a few more miles and it will....

Really bad negative cambered cars certainly show up the inner edge more than this car......I suspect this car is stock height

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
The wear starts from the centre and moves towards the inner edge. The edge is worn more than the rest of the tyre though :)

Looking at this picture, the tyre hasn't worn that far do wear the edge totally out....Give it a few more miles and it will....

Really bad negative cambered cars certainly show up the inner edge more than this car......I suspect this car is stock height
Never knew that. Mine always chewed from outer edge on both cars.

knos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Spac Sii
As others have said i dont think its camber as such... i've never seen them wear like that.

i have a VS IRS rear on sssl rears and about 50mm of inside edge is the main wear and it feathers towards the centre.
nothing like that. maybe over inflated or a dodgy tyre from new being higher in that stip then the rest of the tyre.. are they old?