Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt coolant / muck

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
Lately since the heater tap, the coolant has been disappearing, it doesn't over heat, but i top it up and in get a brown sludge coming out,

Was thinking of replacing the radiator, would it Be the inlet gasket? The oil isn't mucky, and when there's coolant it's not oily,

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Replacing the radiator wouldn't be necessary unless it is leaking. Giving the entire cooling system a thorough flush and coolant change would be a good idea, though. What do you mean by "since the heater tap"? Have you recently replaced it? And where is the "brown sludge" coming out of?
If you have a coolant leak that is noticable enough that you have to keep topping it up and you are sure there is no milky substance in the engine oil, then you should be able to spot where the coolant is leaking from. Remember, when coolant dries it becomes a white colour. Assuming you have a nice green coloured coolant, lol.

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
man mine was a little sludgy to , prob not using demineralized water hasnt helped , probly a bit of rust and ****, mines been flushed a few times and its not to bad now, i gota take the overflow out and clean it to , but i was thinkn putin a new radiator on didnt realy need it in the end., my coolant was also disapearing because it was a tiny leek at the heater hose goin on to the extractors so u couldnt see it leakin anywhere, check that one out, id say get a full new hose pack , bout 100 buks and flush it out too.

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
The sludge is coming from the cap, but the over flow is green? Okay it's been pressure tested, twice no leaks so im well lost

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The sludge is coming from the cap, but the over flow is green? Okay it's been pressure tested, twice no leaks so im well lost

It might be worth trying a new radiator cap, not to get rid of the sludge but to fix the disappearing coolant perhaps.

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
Sorry forgot to mention I'd got a new cap and it's still doing it

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Inlet manifold gasket??

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I have found alot of new caps not sealing correctly lately.

Sludge could be a trans leak if it is auto or if it is rusty colour then the neater core or pipe could have been blocked and is now dislodged.

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
Trans fluid & colour is perfect, might just have to flush it and go from there!

VSteve

Reaction score
The sludge is most likely the inlet manifold gasket. Oil gets sucked in to the water gallerys while the engine cools and the coolant contracts. Just replace the intake gaskets. It will only cost you $50 and a few hours work and you will be able to tell straight away if it has been leaking once its all apart.