Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT dashboard fascia. Removal.

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Does anyone have a step by step, screw by screw description( or know of a video) on how to remove the dashboard fascia ( VT II, V6 sedan)?
Its thin fragile plastic and getting brittle with age so was trying to be extra gentle.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can download the factory manual easy enough. There is no better detail.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a video or two for the VZ. A lot of similarities.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
A step-by-step guide would be lengthy and overcomplicated for the task at hand. It looks like a big job, but it's not. I've taken apart a VX dash and a couple of weeks ago, my son took apart and reinstalled his entire dash twice in the space of a week ('99 VT) . Neither of us had done it before. You only need to know three things:
  1. Start with the console and work your way forward (yes, you have to start all the way back there to remove the dash, because each part holds down the end of the next part all the way along);
  2. Don't force anything. If you try to pry it off but it feels like something is holding it back somewhere, then something is holding it down somewhere. Stop pulling and use a torch to look everywhere on and around the part for a screw you've missed; and
  3. There are a LOT of screws. Like bucketloads of the things. Thankfully, the majority of them are the same size, so you don't have to keep track of them too hard.
Just don't rush it, don't be rough and try and yank things off. If you've missed a screw, you'll know straight away because it will feel anchored down in a particular spot. The parts are more flexible than you are giving them credit for.
Beg, borrow or steal a cordless drill and phillips head bit. Thank me later.
You'll have the whole thing off in under 20 minutes and be wondering what you were so concerned about.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
A step-by-step guide would be lengthy and overcomplicated for the task at hand. It looks like a big job, but it's not. I've taken apart a VX dash and a couple of weeks ago, my son took apart and reinstalled his entire dash twice in the space of a week ('99 VT) . Neither of us had done it before. You only need to know three things:
  1. Start with the console and work your way forward (yes, you have to start all the way back there to remove the dash, because each part holds down the end of the next part all the way along);
  2. Don't force anything. If you try to pry it off but it feels like something is holding it back somewhere, then something is holding it down somewhere. Stop pulling and use a torch to look everywhere on and around the part for a screw you've missed; and
  3. There are a LOT of screws. Like bucketloads of the things. Thankfully, the majority of them are the same size, so you don't have to keep track of them too hard.
Just don't rush it, don't be rough and try and yank things off. If you've missed a screw, you'll know straight away because it will feel anchored down in a particular spot. The parts are more flexible than you are giving them credit for.
Beg, borrow or steal a cordless drill and phillips head bit. Thank me later.
You'll have the whole thing off in under 20 minutes and be wondering what you were so concerned about.
An older manual ( with fuzzy low res pictures) suggests a total of 7 screws. A VE vid indicates 9 screws to be removed to get the fascia off. Wahtw as your count?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
An older manual ( with fuzzy low res pictures) suggests a total of 7 screws. A VE vid indicates 9 screws to be removed to get the fascia off. Wahtw as your count?
If memory serves me correct, it's 7 screws?

I'll have a look at one of my old clusters tomorrow, if you want?

But you'll find out when you do the job, if you're gonna do it?

I thought you would have all ready done it?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Download it as it is. You need the file structure. It must be downloaded to a PC or Mac. Won’t work on phones or iPads. Use a pdf reader. Enable the side bar.
Open the file marked “start here”
Navigate from there.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Probably takes about 7 just to get to the stereo. I'd say 15-20 to get the whole thing off.