Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Diff Ratio's

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
You are gonna make it use more fuel as it would be under load more often, the trans is where you could make real gains, swap to a t56 or t6060. The six speed offers 2 overdrives getting those rpm's way down at cruising speeds shouldnt cost much more than 3 or 4 grand which you would save in fuel costs in under a decade :D

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
This might be an old post, but what he originally asked for is a good idea if you have a decent engine. Reduce the final drive, make fourth the same total ratio the same as fifth, end result is like driving a six speed without using first

I speak from experience having owned an XB Coupe with a overbored worked 460 in it and runnina toploader with a 2.72 ratio nine inch. Wish I still had it, but I always wanted to try 2.6 gears in it, had the torque and long legs, I would be changing into second and the guy next to you would be grabbing third going backwards:D and would break taction at 120 in third with ease.

I would be interested in seeing if he managed it and his impression

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From my understanding the 5L with 4 speed gets optimal economy from the 3.07, or 3.08 depending on the the diff. Where as V6 sweet spot is 3.45s or 3.46 again depending what you have.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I highly doubt going to a 2.7 or 2.8 ratio diff in a vt 5 litre would make it better on fuel and that’s even if they made those gears to suit that diff? usually going to a 3.45 ratio improves things all around with fuel economy, acceleration etc