Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT for first car, good idea?

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
Not sure I agree with that. Some people are so impressed with their car they want to buy another and upgrade. But you do say in most cases, so I understand what you are getting at. IE be carefully and ask ( and wonder ) why the seller is selling.

Yeah that's probably a bit closer to what I meant, I just said that because my VS looked fine and they said it was fine but when I went to get it road-worthied it had stuffed engine mounts and that was a very costly bargaining chip to miss.

I've driven a few mates etc. VTs and I rate them on brakes and reliability, one of my mates parents one is on like 300k and I swear it doesn't even blow smoke, and I'm skeptical it has been serviced as often as it should but it does get serviced. I'm not really a fan of their visibility but, I find the A pillar (I think) just blocks a lot of vision but thats my opinion.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
the only thing i can say is...get an acclaim if you can, you get the benefit of a passengers airbag and traction control, my exec has the passengers airbag and sometimes in the wet with an LSD it can be a bit of a handful if i boot it, i know you shouldnt be doing that but im just saying the traction control cant hurt for us younger drivers out there! and i am pretty sure that there will be people on here who will back me up. If i was to go and get one myself rather than buying of my dad i would have tried to find something with traction control...for the just in case one in a million occasion!

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
the only thing i can say is...get an acclaim if you can, you get the benefit of a passengers airbag and traction control, my exec has the passengers airbag and sometimes in the wet with an LSD it can be a bit of a handful if i boot it, i know you shouldnt be doing that but im just saying the traction control cant hurt for us younger drivers out there! and i am pretty sure that there will be people on here who will back me up. If i was to go and get one myself rather than buying of my dad i would have tried to find something with traction control...for the just in case one in a million occasion!
but don't rely on the traction control 100% in the wet
With traction control on i was going around a roundabout in the wet... For a split second the whole rear end went sideways...Don't know if it didn't work that one time but normaly works great..

CV60VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
hey buddy had the same boat as you lol recently on my L's bought a very nice VT wagon and am now on my P's My car was an ex telstra car picked it up for $4500 no problem at all with mine so far only thing iv had to do was get a new radiator but if your willing to fill her up for around $70 then yer go for it lol
I guess it also comes down to who has owned it and how they have treated it. Also insure could be expensive and rego to and green slip recently just payed min cost me just under $1000 but am trying to save so hard so that when I get of my P plates ill have the money to buy a VE ute I have always wanted lol or maby the newest model thats out then if I like it hahahaha
But good luck in search of a car mate.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
hey buddy had the same boat as you lol recently on my L's bought a very nice VT wagon and am now on my P's My car was an ex telstra car picked it up for $4500 no problem at all with mine so far only thing iv had to do was get a new radiator but if your willing to fill her up for around $70 then yer go for it lol
I guess it also comes down to who has owned it and how they have treated it. Also insure could be expensive and rego to and green slip recently just payed min cost me just under $1000 but am trying to save so hard so that when I get of my P plates ill have the money to buy a VE ute I have always wanted lol or maby the newest model thats out then if I like it hahahaha
But good luck in search of a car mate.
how many km on the wagon?????

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
You CAN get a VT for 5K but i'd recommend not to as it will no doubt have high k's and high chance of problems. Just check the car out very thoroughly and get your mechanic or someone to go over the car for possible issues, also RACQ check it and check the V-Check on if it is stolen or been in any accidents.

Also if you're concerned about fuel..commodore probably ain't the right car to be thinking about LOL.

My first car was a VS and after that got written off (lady crashed into me as i went through a GREEN light), i bought a VT S-Pack. Great car

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
but don't rely on the traction control 100% in the wet
With traction control on i was going around a roundabout in the wet... For a split second the whole rear end went sideways...Don't know if it didn't work that one time but normaly works great..

im not saying he should, at least its there if it is required..oh and you have to have it on for it to work :p

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
You CAN get a VT for 5K but i'd recommend not to as it will no doubt have high k's and high chance of problems. Just check the car out very thoroughly and get your mechanic or someone to go over the car for possible issues, also RACQ check it and check the V-Check on if it is stolen or been in any accidents.

VT's are getting to the age where high k's and a high chance of problems are going to be an issue, if you want a car with low K's and no problems, I wouldn't be buying a 12 year old car. For 5K you'll get a decent VT with less than 200,000K that's mechanically sound and will have good few years in it before things will be an issue. Which ever way you look at it, a car of this age will cost some level of coin to maintain. Servicing costs will only go up from here.

Just look for a good clean car, with a good service history, beyond that you may have to consider getting a different car or increasing your budget to get a VY or later series.