Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt fuel pump replacement - easy d.i.y?

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by CV6Z, Aug 9, 2010.

1. CV6Z

CV6Z New Member

Members Ride:
    99 VT Commodore
    so the fuel pump has finally let go n is no longer functioning so my car is stuck home until i get the new pump...i have only ordered the actual pump itself so my quetions is - is it as easy as dropping the tank out of the car, pulling the old fuel pump assembly out and replacing the fuel pump then putting it back int he tank ect???

are there any things i should take note of before attemping this? i have a full mechanical workshop to use and am fairly mechanically minded just i havent done this before..

cheers for any help

2. scbh81

scbh81 VRUUUM XU6 180 SC

Members Ride:
    HSV XU6 VTII 99
    hey mate,

just a thought... before you replace the fuel pump do u wanna try swapping the fuel pump relay with the low beam relay or something.... cause i thought the same and swapped the relays and bang my car started......
    just a thought.....

3. Chucknorris

Chucknorris New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Calais
    Did this last week on a friends hoist. 1 hour gives you PLENTY of time.
    Only thing i can recommend is, if your using a hoist, use some kind of bench or stand under the fuel tank when taking it out and putting back in. Just makes the job ALOT easier.

4. acarmody

acarmody Donati..Whoa Green

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    Run the car until the fuel light is on and even then a bit more. Would ruin your day to undo all the tank straps and find a 50 kg tank dropping your way. Also just standard stuff, take fuel pump relay out and disconnect battery, not needed but just precautionary. A hoist would be ideal but failing that some car ramps will make your job so much easier. Chassis stands just aren't going to cut it (well make it difficult at least) since the pump is above the tank.

5. CV6Z

CV6Z New Member

Members Ride:
    99 VT Commodore
    cheers everyone, i'll try swapping the relays over but i dont think it'll start as i have been tapping the tank lately to start the car. yesterday arv it wouldnt start no matter how many times i hit the tank but i'll give the relays a try.

yea ive got bout half a quarter tank of fuel lucky cos i didnt wanna waste to much fuel.. thanks for the advice guys!!!

also out of curiosity, what actually stops the pump from working? just wear and tear?

6. CV6Z

CV6Z New Member

Members Ride:
    99 VT Commodore
    yeah nah its definitly the fuel pump, swapped relays over and its still just cranking over without firing...

7. billkerr

billkerr New Member

Members Ride:
    vx v8 commodore
    Hi I am installing a super charger on my 2004 vz and I need to change the fuel pump. Can anyone PLEASE tell me where it is. Big thanks if anyone can

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. graham7773

graham7773 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Acclaim Wagon
    billkerr, r u joking? Search is your assistant. Plenty of advice in these forums on VT to VZ and VE fuel pump, The fuel pump is fitted in the top of the tank and requires the tank to be removed to replace the pump or pump/sender assembly. Unlike the falcons of the same era which in the sedan had a plate in the boot for access or the wagon which had the fuel pump mounted in the passenger side of the tank behind the rear wheel. I do not have any idea why GMH does stuff like this. Just makes life more profitable for mechanics.

9. wortus

wortus Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
    I took apart a failed fuel pump out of a VN and what had caused the failure was the wire braid from the brush that goes through the spring behind the brush had broken off and the current had been going through the spring burning the point of contact on the brush, it stopped with little or no warning signs ie it woudl not run once and no amount of coaxing, tapping the tank etc would get it to go.
    I've never done one in a VT but I have pulled apart the assembly and you can change just the actual pump but you also need to change the strainers and be cardeful with the quick connect fittings for the fuel lines etc.

10. wamboin23

wamboin23 Donating Member w/ Boost

Members Ride:
    VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VR Acclaim V6
    make sure you check out the electrical connections. the one on the tank, and the one at the end of the fuel pump electrical extension harness. very common for them to burn out and cause issues.

11. 2001wagon

2001wagon New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Wagon 2001
    Is it the fuel pump problem ?

I have a V6 VT Commodore wagon for ten years and last 3 or 4 months, the engine is pretty rough on idle and it's served regularly and mechanic blames the low level of fuel is the blame. But I know it is not true because I still have the same problems when the tank is full. Last week or so, sometimes when it starts, the engine is short of fuel and stall and eventually starts again. Two days ago, I started the engine after parking for 1 hour and the engine wasn't running smoothly, but I make a U turn and the engine stalled and stopped completely in the middle of the road, and will not start. With the help of couple of people and pushed the car to road side. When NRMA road service came in, he diagnosed as I ran out of fuel and bought $20 worth of petrol and filled it up. The engine did started after couple of cart and stop and pretty rough at the beginning and eventually running normally. I went and fill up the tank after that and next day used the car whole day and came home in the afternoon in the drive way. My Mrs ask me to buy milk from the shop and reversed the car to get out of the drive way. When the car reached the middle of the road, the engine stalled and stopped and won't start again. I pushed the car back to the drive way and the engine won't cart now.
    NRMA came in and asked me what happens and reckon it's the fuel pump. He did two things, change the relay fuse and hit the fuel tank with rubber hammer and the engine still won't start. So he pulled the car out of the drive way and park the car properly at road side and arrange for toll truck to toll the car to my mechanic.
    I rang my mechanic and he said "Are you sure it's fuel pump ?" . there is no problem of replacing the file pump and it may not fix the problem.

So the car was tolled to my mechanic place to replace the fuel pump. He tried to start up the engine and it started it up straight away !
    The replacement fuel pump is coming on Monday and what should I do now ?
    Should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump ?
    Should I arrange for further testing to confirm whether it's a fuel pump problem or not ? What sorts of tests can be done to confirm it's fuel pump problem or not ?

Summary of problems :
    Engine rough on idle, sometimes engine won't start (stalled and stopped on slight slope and when turning and won't start after that) . It will start again depending on the the ground level and whether steering is straight or not ? Rough engine on idle has been happening for a while now (almost 3 months). but the start up problem is happening only last 3 days.

12. djdomohudson

djdomohudson Mad frogs

Members Ride:
    VT Executive 3.8 v6
    I'd say it was the fuel pump. My ride has a rough idle and it also sounds rough on acceleration. It also cuts out when the petrol is low and I make a tight right turn, though when I straighten up it kicks back in and carries on going. I think there's also a tell tale droplet of petrol in the drive now and then... I bought it knowing there was a fuel pump issue and me and my mate are gonna tackle it one day soon.

13. djdomohudson

djdomohudson Mad frogs

Members Ride:
    VT Executive 3.8 v6
    Question where can I buy a fuel pump to replace the old one with???

14. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    You can buy them from Repco , Bursons or Holden. Mine cost me $90

15. djdomohudson

djdomohudson Mad frogs

Members Ride:
    VT Executive 3.8 v6
    Are they model specific or general?

16. antneilz

antneilz New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt Commodore LS1
    Hey just wondering where is the fuel pump relay located? I have the same issue except I have changed my fuel pump and it only kicks over sometimes. Sometimes nothing at all. Cheers

17. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Relay is in the engine bay relay box. Drivers side.

18. VTS5

VTS5 TechJunkie

Members Ride:
    VE OMEGA
    You installing a s/c ?? Good luck ...

Oh..The fuel pump...

Here it is..

Attached Files:

• io.jpg
      io.jpg
      File size:
      179.2 KB
      Views:
  19. Nut Kracker

Nut Kracker Kamikraze

Members Ride:
    VT SS 304ci (195i)
    Have a look under the cover of the fuse/relay box.
    There should be a diagram of the lay out of the fuses and relays.

20. #Brock

#Brock Member

Members Ride:
    Cammmed Slammed Blown VT SS 3:9 Shift Kitted
    My fuel gauge is stuck on full, suspect the sender's had it so I'll be swapping it out soon. Has this happened to anyone else