Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt fuel pump replacement - easy d.i.y?

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
so the fuel pump has finally let go n is no longer functioning so my car is stuck home until i get the new pump...i have only ordered the actual pump itself so my quetions is - is it as easy as dropping the tank out of the car, pulling the old fuel pump assembly out and replacing the fuel pump then putting it back int he tank ect???

are there any things i should take note of before attemping this? i have a full mechanical workshop to use and am fairly mechanically minded just i havent done this before..

cheers for any help

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
hey mate,

just a thought... before you replace the fuel pump do u wanna try swapping the fuel pump relay with the low beam relay or something.... cause i thought the same and swapped the relays and bang my car started......
just a thought.....

Chucknorris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Did this last week on a friends hoist. 1 hour gives you PLENTY of time.
Only thing i can recommend is, if your using a hoist, use some kind of bench or stand under the fuel tank when taking it out and putting back in. Just makes the job ALOT easier.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Run the car until the fuel light is on and even then a bit more. Would ruin your day to undo all the tank straps and find a 50 kg tank dropping your way. Also just standard stuff, take fuel pump relay out and disconnect battery, not needed but just precautionary. A hoist would be ideal but failing that some car ramps will make your job so much easier. Chassis stands just aren't going to cut it (well make it difficult at least) since the pump is above the tank.

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
cheers everyone, i'll try swapping the relays over but i dont think it'll start as i have been tapping the tank lately to start the car. yesterday arv it wouldnt start no matter how many times i hit the tank but i'll give the relays a try.

yea ive got bout half a quarter tank of fuel lucky cos i didnt wanna waste to much fuel.. thanks for the advice guys!!!

also out of curiosity, what actually stops the pump from working? just wear and tear?

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
yeah nah its definitly the fuel pump, swapped relays over and its still just cranking over without firing...

billkerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v8 commodore
Hi I am installing a super charger on my 2004 vz and I need to change the fuel pump. Can anyone PLEASE tell me where it is. Big thanks if anyone can

Last edited:

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
billkerr, r u joking? Search is your assistant. Plenty of advice in these forums on VT to VZ and VE fuel pump, The fuel pump is fitted in the top of the tank and requires the tank to be removed to replace the pump or pump/sender assembly. Unlike the falcons of the same era which in the sedan had a plate in the boot for access or the wagon which had the fuel pump mounted in the passenger side of the tank behind the rear wheel. I do not have any idea why GMH does stuff like this. Just makes life more profitable for mechanics.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I took apart a failed fuel pump out of a VN and what had caused the failure was the wire braid from the brush that goes through the spring behind the brush had broken off and the current had been going through the spring burning the point of contact on the brush, it stopped with little or no warning signs ie it woudl not run once and no amount of coaxing, tapping the tank etc would get it to go.
I've never done one in a VT but I have pulled apart the assembly and you can change just the actual pump but you also need to change the strainers and be cardeful with the quick connect fittings for the fuel lines etc.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
make sure you check out the electrical connections. the one on the tank, and the one at the end of the fuel pump electrical extension harness. very common for them to burn out and cause issues.