Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Hard start. Help! What could it be?!?!?

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I have had this problem with my VT II ever since i got it. It takes a while to start. Cranks and cranks and cranks and then eventually starts with the sound of the starter motor running at full rpm.
It seemed to be the worst when cold, with some good, quick starts being able to be achieved when the engine was hot.
Now it just takes a while to start, regardless of engine temp or whether or not i 'prime' the fuel rail by turning the ignition to the 'on' position and then starting.
My engine has now developed a bit of a strange noise which is likely to be related/due to this problem. Sort of a knocking sound. Finally, when i shut off the engine it sounds like a lawns mower shutting of as there seems to be a clunking/knocking sound when i turn it off.
During normal driving there seems to be no problem. I plant the foot and she doesn't struggle etc. The idle seems fine, apart from that knocking noise or whatever it may be.
I am going to change the the fuel pressure regulator shortly, but won't be holding my breath as to what the result will be.
Other possibilities are the crank angle sensor, which my car isn't demonstrating symptoms of having it failing.
The knock sensor? Could that noise be a knocking noise?
This problem is beginning to be very frustrating as all i want to do is start my car and go. Other problems are likely to arise from this problem if it is not resolved soon, so PLEASE help!

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
How 'good' is the battery?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sounds like leaking injectors, and now possibly main bearings

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Battery was replaced recently.
I like your suggestion about the leaking injectors. I don't like the idea of main bearings tho.
Just an afterthought tho. if the injectors were leaking, wouldn't there be a noticable performance drop?