Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt idle too high and tried everything

greasemonkey24

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac 3.8
gday i have a vt stage 2 cam, performance chip supplied with cam, cai, and wildcat extractors with 2 1/2 inch mant system from cat back. my iac valve was playing up last week and since i have replaced that and while adjusting acc cable it snapped and replaced that too, since fitting iac valve i cant get her to idle right, its at 1500rpm in park and 1200 in drive, ive tried resetting base idle and that still didnt work the funny thing is my throttle doesnt even touch the idle screw and still 1500rpm, i cant work it out, any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Did you fiddle with the TPS as any point?

If so, I suspect your experiencing the syptoms of one of the most common causes when noobies (including myself) fiddle with the TB on the ecotecs.

In case you did, there is a little plastic sleeve thing that is crucial to install when putting the TPS back on.

See this link, PART 2, Step 2, 2nd page the sleeve is circled.
http://www.maceengineering.com.au/W...240/1463/THROTTLEBODY_ECOTEC_INSTALLATION.pdf

Hope this is the issue in your case as it's an easy fix.

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
Where'd the new iac come from? I found out A couple of weeks ago there's different siZe iac's for the later model Ecotec throttles.. Has a longer shaft and bigger tip.. Ya checked to see if they're the exact same size?

Or take out the iac and block it off manually and see if it runs? Mayb.. At least then if it stalls ya know its something with the iac

greasemonkey24

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac 3.8
ive had both the tps and iac off at different times and throttle closed and still 1500 rpm i didnt take the tps off until last resort and i made sure the adaptor was on it, with iac i purchased one from wreckers off running engine, brand new from covs, borrowed my mates of his vt oh and even got a 2nd hand complete throttle body with tps and iac from a wreck as well i just cant pin point it, every time i turn car off its a pain to idle till i tap accelerator and let idle for a few miniutes then still the same its had all new sensors fitted when i fitted cam aswell so i know its not cam/crank sensors, ive even had tps off car, running to slightly adjust and try get idle down but lowest point is 1500rpm it baffles me that the idle screw doesnt even touch the throttle and i can clearly see the throttle is closed and still 1500

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
ive had both the tps and iac off at different times and throttle closed and still 1500 rpm i didnt take the tps off until last resort and i made sure the adaptor was on it, with iac i purchased one from wreckers off running engine, brand new from covs, borrowed my mates of his vt oh and even got a 2nd hand complete throttle body with tps and iac from a wreck as well i just cant pin point it, every time i turn car off its a pain to idle till i tap accelerator and let idle for a few miniutes then still the same its had all new sensors fitted when i fitted cam aswell so i know its not cam/crank sensors, ive even had tps off car, running to slightly adjust and try get idle down but lowest point is 1500rpm it baffles me that the idle screw doesnt even touch the throttle and i can clearly see the throttle is closed and still 1500
Spewing, ya tryd punching **** yet? :D lol
It has to be sucking in air from somewhere or it wouldn't run at all.. Correct???

My thoughts would be-
Vac leak/hose off somewhere??? Could Spray it with water while running and see if it sucks any in water and runs like **** for a bit
Iac wiring playing up causing it to stay open? Would need a Multi meter and a Gregory's to test it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
as wana said
vacumn leak,
check for any hoses you left off or fitted incorrectly

greasemonkey24

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac 3.8
checked sprayed degreaser and wd40 around an not a change in revs or note

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
With the ls1 the idle is also controlled in the tune, Maybe the 'Performance Chip' you installed hasn't been setup right? have you tried putting the stock ecu/chip/memcal back in an see how it goes? sorry don't know to much about the v6's just a suggestion .

greasemonkey24

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac 3.8
yeah i thought of that too lol and tried it it just idle a little higher with stok chip

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Did you get a IAC valve from a series 1 or a series 2? what model is your car, a series 1 or a series 2? You said you have tried a few, although you did not say what series they were off.