Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT II chugging/chocking on start and low revs

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II executive 3.8L 6cyl
Gday,
Started my vt commodore series ii exectutive v6 yesterday, it started chugging/choking and whole car was shaking, i noticed the revs were really low as usualy on start there at 1000rpm when itwas at like 400rpm and struggled to make its way up to 1000rpm, once got revs up it was a bit better, but when went to drive it was still chugging and stuff so i just turned around n took misses car, Anyone have any idea what this could be? bad coil, **** fuel, fuel pump i could hear start up so thats fine i think, i just got new fuel air n oil filters on last service so yeh, any idea wot this would be?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Plugs, leads, and ignition coils would be the first things to check/replace if theyre fairly old. Also check for any logged error codes. Let us know how you go with the codes.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks, will do that tomorrow, and ill change all plugs ill sus out the leads and probably replace ignition coil even if not needed then see how she goes, probably got some **** fuel always go to shell though, or need a new battery, because when i put high beams on my whole car like lowers in revs a little, and its a brand new heavy duty alternator so that cant be it, not sure how old battery is though but ill get it checked.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
when i put high beams on my whole car like lowers in revs a little, and its a brand new heavy duty alternator so that cant be it, not sure how old battery is though but ill get it checked.

Sounds like an earthing issue, check/renew the negative battery terminal to chassis ground point with some 4 or 6 gauge. You can get the earthing cable from supercrap for $10 already made up with the eyelets etc.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
when i put high beams on my whole car like lowers in revs a little, and its a brand new heavy duty alternator so that cant be it.

The factory earth cables can be a bit ordinary on these vehicles and can cause similar problems to what youre having... Check the main earth cables that go from the battery negative terminal to the body and to the engine block. Clean the cable terminals where they join the body and engine block with a wire brush so theyre clean. On my VS Ive fitted 2 extra earth cables that run from the negative battery terminal to the body and to the engine block to complement the factory earths.. I had problems with lights dimming slightly every now and then, and the engine cranking over slowly, even with a brand new heavy duty battery it would do this, and these extra earths fixed the slow cranking and lights...
Also check the main charging wire that runs from the rear of the alternator to the battery. The copper wire can become corroded under its plastic sheath from high electrical load causing it to heat up, and this causes electrical problems.

elmsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh I'll test alternator and battery and just give terminals a clean, the alternators brand new but ill still look for corrosion unless they didn't install it properly, also I started her again today an she chugged for a second then was normal, I noticed **** load of smoke coming out of exhaust so I'm leaning toward fuel pump/injectors/shitty fuel filters brand new, gunna do code check tomorrow aswell, also I can hear alternator working all time so think might be time for new battery or its just like that cos it's heavy duty or incorrectly installed 100% but good Enuff to work.