Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT L67 problem.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
The mechanic showed me the spark plugs where the pistons had shot right up and smashed them.

What???

Gotta see pictures of that.

The distance between the cylinder head and the top of the piston for safe running clearance is typically the gasket thickness of ~.035"/1mm. Unless the plugs fitted were an incorrect wrong long reach type, then the pistons hitting the correct plugs is impossible and the absolute least of your worries if that is actually what has happened.

Are you sure about your mechanic?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah that sounds like a load of crap to me. The pistons would've needed to break apart at the crown to have that kind of effect. It's more likely that the engine sucked something through the intake and damaged the plugs that way (if there was actually damage to the plugs when they were removed).

Check out the shape of the combustion chamber.
ecotecs.t-3heads.jpg

Even if the rod's let go, the heads would likely stop the pistons before they touched the plugs. Hard enough to believe it would happen in one cylinder, let alone two.

Reed93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67
He showed me the pistons and there is deifinetly damage to them, he said himself that the pistons should never go up that far, it's my dad's mate so he wouldn't rip me.
Comcar in reservoir, North of melbourne.
Haven't got pictures