Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt Lpg Gas Conversion

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
Personally i use NGK plugs and leads, the recomended ones for the engine. Not one problem with them, plugs changed every 7000k, leads havent been done yet ( 25000kms and counting ).

Alcommo

Two, 40 years apart.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SII Acclaim Sedan
I have LPG on my VX - was there when I bought it with 70k km on odo.

I asked for, and fitted LPG plugs when I changed 'em ( do all the maintenance myself). As I understand it, the LPG plugs are a different heat range.

It runs **** on petrol, and I wondered if this was because of the gas plugs? Runs a little better after a while, but not ever as good as it could, which makes me think it is the injectors as vxcalais said.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
colder plugs will naturally run rough on petrol especially if you haven't got any detonation problems, the plug is now more prone to fouling. When i recently spoke to ice ignition they told me not to use the colder plug as the bpr6 ngk is already cold enough.

I've always been interested in the ngk plug but they still have quite a high resistance like around 6000 ohms etc if not higher. Top Gun 300 are ony 300-400 ohms, and the msd's or magnecores are something like 50 ohms.

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Personally i use NGK plugs and leads, the recomended ones for the engine. Not one problem with them, plugs changed every 7000k, leads havent been done yet ( 25000kms and counting ).

Every 7000 ks?? My VT is still running beautifully 110,000 ks after I changed mine. Never has backfired. Maybe I'm just slack but I don't think mine need changing that often.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Every 7000 ks?? My VT is still running beautifully 110,000 ks after I changed mine. Never has backfired. Maybe I'm just slack but I don't think mine need changing that often.

So your running standard ngk's after 110,000 ? I'd love to see how they look when they come out.

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
Yes every 7,000kms. Same with my oil, every 7,000kms, it'ld probably go for 15,000 - 20,000 kms, but i prefer to change them at every service.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I have had bosch yttrium in now for just over 20,000 and they are starting to idle only very slightly and minor backfire on start (could have been crap fuel etc). The plugs i had in the longest 30,000 without backfire were Denso Plugs from Toyota, absolutely fantastic plug. I still have them, they look perfect when i took em out. If i clean them up i will reuse them.

Danielsa, out of curiousity, what oil are you running ? There are oils out there that will easily do 10,000, then even 15-30,000.

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
Penrite HPR15.

The oil would easily go for longer, but 7,000 kms is almost 6 months of my driving so that long enough for my likeing.

I've always serviced my car at 7,000kms (or 6 months), even before the LPG conversion.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yeah that makes reall good sense, 6 months is long enough for a standard oil. Unless you have Redline, Amsoil, ULX or some of Bradcad's special PM Lubricants. That stuff will last for ages. No offence and i am not a greeny, but all that oil we throw out, i don't think its all recycled, as how many people really use that black bottle cheap stuff. As oil prices rise, it may be a thing of the future, either reclycled oil(no one wants to touch it), long drain oil (easily available), full synthetic lab made ester or colloidal using no petroleum products at all.