Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt ls1 overheating need advice on why

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
FG XR6 TURBO /RIP VT II LS1 Clubby, VR Commodore S
hi guys i havent had my vt clubby for long now, and its started to overheat, the temperature usually sits over the half way mark, half way to 3/4 sorry if im not making sense, but even though i was driving like a grandpa it heated up to 3/4 after about 25 mins, and the fans stay turned on after the car is turned off, i read a couple threads but all i got was could be bad waterpump
im not sure why its being like that, i was thinking of renewing the coolant since the red colour has faded but i think i mite need a new thermostat
would appreciate all advice thanks in advance :)

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
over half way doesn't sound normal... are fans kicking in at half temp but it still goes over?

start with the obvious,
  • check for leaks and perished hoses..
  • flush entire system (including heater core)
  • refill correct coolant and bleed system before load testing.
most thermostats stay open when they die, so lazy pump, temp sensor, or radiator more likely to blame if a flush doesn't rectify...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Is it losing water?

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Ricey - no its not losing water mate I checked all dry never leaks

Coast calais - Ye the fans kick in, i left it in the drive turned on and fans kicked in and kept car underneath half way but when driving as low as I can go still heats, I'm changing over coolant today, by bleed system what do you mean ? I've always just done it normally on my vr never had a problem

Thanks guys ill let use know tommorow after the flushing and new coolant how it goes and also it started getting hotter quicker then before slightly

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Even if you cant see leaks it may still be losing water through the overflow if the rad caps faulty or into the engine through a head gasket, check the level in the radiator.

When its hot check that top and bottom radiator hoses are both hot. If they arent you either have an air lock or thermostats stuck closed.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Adding to ricey, also check your cap is allowing the system to pressurize. Cap failures can usually be detected as a system that overheats, has no leaks but always needs water (as instead of pressurizing, it dumps water and on cool down it draws out of the reservoir) just a thought..

Also bleeding is just releasing all air from your cooling system..

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
i checked this morning the top radiator hose is hot, the bottom hose is cold !! and the hoses around the overfill bottle are cold to, so i think i ll go get a thermostat while flushing the coolant, is it hard to change on the ls1 ? im still new to this engine as you may be able to tell

thanks for all the advice guys

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
i checked this morning the top radiator hose is hot, the bottom hose is cold !! and the hoses around the overfill bottle are cold to, so i think i ll go get a thermostat while flushing the coolant, is it hard to change on the ls1 ? im still new to this engine as you may be able to tell

thanks for all the advice guys

Thermostat is fair easy.
New thermostat, sheet of gasket paper, can of holymar, six pack - good to go!

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
so i need to make up a gasket for it ? doesnt it have a o ring thing around it ? guessing its not sufficient then
just to be sure the thermostat is were the top hose connects to the engine ? im going of what i remember from my vr lol

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
so i need to make up a gasket for it ? doesnt it have a o ring thing around it ? guessing its not sufficient then
just to be sure the thermostat is were the top hose connects to the engine ? im going of what i remember from my vr lol

Sorry I was thinking 5.0l.. lol

O ring yes, and looking at the motor from front of car it's down the left bank....