Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT LS1 Timing Issue

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
Hey all, Having trouble pinpointing an issue with my VT Clubsport.
My Issue:
When the engine gets hot (heat soaked) which takes about half an hour of driving it runs like a real slug. around 1500-3000 rpms its really bogs down and surges and has absolutely no power. Full throttle or more revs it goes as it should.
On a cool day if i don't stop in traffic it will take a lot longer to start playing up. It can be running fine and then if I stop in traffic for a few minutes it starts. Its like something is failing due to heat. And once it starts it doesn't stop till engine cools down completely.
I've had this issue for 12 months now and hasn't thrown a code.
Parts replaced:
New plugs, leads, O2 sensors, fuel filter. I have cleaned injectors, throttle body, iac, maf. Checked for vacuum leaks plus more

Now today I took it for a drive with the scanner hooked up to look at fuel trims, tps, cts and all looked fine.
Now i believe I have found my issue but i need to work out what is causing it.
Looking at timing once it started to act up here is what I found

Idle - 14 degrees btdc - thought it should be alot lower than that
half to WOT - i loose all readings for everything??
1500 - 3000 at 1/4 throttle its a bit spasmodic, but i did see it go to 5 degrees btdc quite a few times.
So long story short and sorry for the long post but what is causing my timing to be all over the show? Any help guys would be awesome as I am so over driving this thing and it really makes me sad lol

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
#coil packs.
#bad earthing.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there are a few modifiers for the timing so it won't always be at a set number, 14 for idle is pretty standard, during cruise it can vary a bit up and down then under acceleration it should be pretty smoothed out but will change as the rpm/load change

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
there are a few modifiers for the timing so it won't always be at a set number, 14 for idle is pretty standard, during cruise it can vary a bit up and down then under acceleration it should be pretty smoothed out but will change as the rpm/load change
I thought 5 dbtdc would be way too low during acceleration.
Can't see it being coil packs as its not a miss. More like timing being pulled in and out. I'm stumped

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea 5 is low for accel but that would be after any type of modifiers so something could be bringing it down, what are the iat and cts like..? if temps get to high alot of timing can be taken out but it's more steady not erratic

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
yea 5 is low for accel but that would be after any type of modifiers so something could be bringing it down, what are the iat and cts like..? if temps get to high alot of timing can be taken out but it's more steady not erratic

That's more the answer I was after. Like what can bring timing down. Iat and cts seem fine buts only looking at their readings on my scan software

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
can u see what the 02 sensors are doing do they stay isolating or do they go low or high in the milivolts when is playing up..?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
what software and cable are you using

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
what software and cable are you using
An elm 327 cable with a few different software programs. But the only program that will "read" codes is one called software on elm street. All the others just give engine data etc but won't read codes