Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT not starting!

77benjamin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
G'day all,

Firstly, let me say thanks for all of the great info I've gotten from this forum over time.

I have a bog standard '99 VT Commodore Exec which I'm trying to coax as much life out of as I can. Now that a few parts are starting to fail, I'm trying to learn how to do as much as I can without sending it off to the doctor's!

So the other day, the car just wouldn't start. The symptoms I'd noticed seemed to match up with what I'd read about dodgy starter motors, so I just changed that over for one from a wrecker, but with no result. Assuming that the new motor is actually ok, I'd appreciate any suggestions for what else to try. Here are the possibly relevant symptoms:

- For a while now, the car's been sluggish to turn over when the engine's already hot
- A few days before the car broke down, I tried to start the car when cold, and it was really struggling, as though the battery was dying. But when I tried again a minute later, no problem.
- Drove to the supermarket (2min away), then when I got back to the car, it didn't start. From that point on, all I get is a click when I turn the key.

Thanks in advance for any help!

attycuz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Have you checked how much life is in the battery? My VT clicks when the battery is flat?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sounds like a faulty starter motor or weak battery, since you have changed the starter motor the battery seems to be the likely suspect.
You should also check that the battery terminals and clamps are clean and tight.

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)
since you changed the starter motor, check the volts on the battery with a multimeter or using the cars trip computer (hold up+mode, turn key to ACC and then release after 3 seconds)

77benjamin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
Sorry - my app didn't keep up with the replies. I'll check out the battery - thanks!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Sounds like battery.
How old is it?
Get hold of a charger and charge it up.
If the battery is stuffed it may not hold charge very well, but it may start and confirm any suspicions.

77benjamin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
When I check with the trip computer, I get 10.0V. Bad news? And would it definitely be battery rather than alternator?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
10.0V definetly means a flat battery... but not necessarily dead. The trick I often use it to jumpstart the car. Although in your instance with the battery being that flat it's a little harder. Hook up another car to your battery and leave your key off, this way the other car will be charging your battery somewhat. Come back about 10 minutes laters and attempt to start it. Does it start without hesistation? If yes, battery. If it's still sluggish and doesn't want to start... starter motor or starter cable.

If its the battery, you then need to eliminate the alternator. Check the battery voltage with the engine running and the other car disconnected. It should be at LEAST 13.5 and a MAXIMUM of 14.8Volts.... 14.4V being ideal.

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)
When I check with the trip computer, I get 10.0V. Bad news? And would it definitely be battery rather than alternator?

10v to start a car is low.

i THINK you can check if your alternator is charging properly by using the computer with the engine running.

hold up+mode and turn the engine on but keep holding the buttons for 3 seconds after the engine has started then release the buttons and if the computer says "14v" and it flickers between 14 to 14.4 that is good anything below i would assume is bad.

If it reads 14v - 14.4v on the computer when engine is on then it must be the battery itself