Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT open diff to LSD

ramzisleiman

Reaction score
Members Ride
lumina SS
Okay so bought this 2001 Gen III V8 auto VT thinking that it has LSD. Turns out it doesn't :surprise: !!
The tag on the diff says High performance. Now i know that means no LSD :( its the standard open diff of the V8. I was wondering if there is a ready kit made which can make this same diff an LSD instead of swapping the whole diff.
thanks

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Plenty of gen III V8 auto diffs on eBay, they are the 3.07 ratio.
Straight swap of the whole diff, much easier and a lot cheaper than changing over the internals, provided that the new (used) diff is in good condition

ramzisleiman

Reaction score
Members Ride
lumina SS
the problem with buying a new diff for me is worrying of getting the wrong one! as u know each country gives our car a name! it confuses everyone! its holden, and commodre, and Lumina, and i live in the middle east where it is Chevrolet Lumina SS.. I cannot afford buying the wrong diff.

ramzisleiman

Reaction score
Members Ride
lumina SS
the LSD center is all i need to switch from open diff to lsd ?

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
there are LSD centres on ebay for about $250..or even find a wreck and if its got an lsd diff then take that..

or even cheaper get a mini spool

ramzisleiman

Reaction score
Members Ride
lumina SS
if i write commodore VT.. enough said ?.. or there are V6 VT's ? or other models ?.. im not knowledgable of those names. I am only familiar with Lumina SS .. lol

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
yeh there are vt v6's and v8's and a whole lot of other models from VB, VC, VH, VK, VL, VG, VN, VR, VS, VT, VU, VX, VY, VZ, V2, VE...there is alot of other models.... but the diffs that would fit your car would be VT-VZ v8 lsd, im not sure about the v6 diffs

ramzisleiman

Reaction score
Members Ride
lumina SS
aha great.. VT or VZ V8s only!.. thats a step forward.
thanks for the info!
So let me get this straight.. if i want to convert the same diff on my car from open to LSD. Wat parts exactly should i search for ?
and is that reliable ?