Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT overheating on a short trip

wallyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1998
Have replaced thermostat, new waterpump, new cap topped her up but still boils on about a 18km trip. Running out of ideas, could it possibly be radiator problems ? If so how would l test for this ? Thanks in advance

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Did you bleed the cooling system?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As accentstencil mentioned, you need to bleed the system.
or
Is the water leaking out onto the ground ?,
If so, were about's, the front of the Back of the Motor,
If its not leaking, it must be consuming it, so one would say it could be the LIM Gaskets.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi, hope your ok in all that smoke from the fires, things to look for is leak in the radiator cores, heater core, heater tap, split water pipes, Intake gasket wouldn't boil your car that quick, any water in the oil? any slime in the radiator? Is your radiator cap holding pressure?

To bleed heater on full hot, crack the bleeder valve, I use a 2L milk container cut the bottom out and use electrical tape around the thread of the cap till it fits snug into the radiator then fill it half way so its above the bleeder valve, start car and let it warm up, 5min should do the trick once the air is gone and you have a stream of coolant do the bleeder valve back up your done..

wallyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1998
Ive had a look for leaks and couldnt find anything, oil looks okay, l ran the motor for about 15min trying to fill radiator up, l had the car on a bit of an upward slope and thought l got all the air out. Could it overheat by not bleeding the system properly ?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Is the low fan working ok? If you drive with the AC on, does it still overheat?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Look at your coolant resevoir is it overfull might not get oil in water or vice versa might just get exhaust gasses from blown head gasket pressirising your cooling system causing the overflow to rise

wallyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1998
Okay so l think l have it sorted, l noticed a small leak out of one of the radiator hoses hidden down below the brake hydraulic system. This has slowly drained the radiator and both my attempts to fully prime the system has failed. I noticed the temp guage spike up then down assuming this was the airlock. I ended up using a big funnel to top the system up for head pressure and used Trevors idea of the container over the bleeder.
Looks like lm up for a new hose or just a clamp where its leaking from, but not an easy spot to get into .
Thanks all replies guys much appreciated

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Okay so l think l have it sorted, l noticed a small leak out of one of the radiator hoses hidden down below the brake hydraulic system. This has slowly drained the radiator and both my attempts to fully prime the system has failed. I noticed the temp guage spike up then down assuming this was the airlock. I ended up using a big funnel to top the system up for head pressure and used Trevors idea of the container over the bleeder.
Looks like lm up for a new hose or just a clamp where its leaking from, but not an easy spot to get into .
Thanks all replies guys much appreciated
You might be up for a new heater tap as they become very brittle with age and might break while trying to put a new hose clamp on. Luckily they are very cheap to replace.