Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT series 1 door "check strap"

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
VT series 1 models feature doors that are require excessive effort to open and close due to poor design of the door check strap (the metal strap that holds the door in three different opening positions). VT series 2 onwards have a plastic strap that slides more easily as you open the door.

The drivers door check strap is now actually getting stuck and something is going to break (either the mounting point on the door or the pillar) if I don't replace it soon. I am wondering has anyone successfully fitted a series 2 strap to a series 1 VT? The mounting points on the pillar are different, hence it is not a matter of simply swapping old for new.

I was thinking of grabbing one of the revised check straps from holden and seeing if I could modify it to fit, but if anyone has already tried this (or something somilar) it would be great to hear your feedback.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Have you tried greasing it? It may be too far gone to save, but a bit of grease on it can't hurt to try.

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I probably can, but I have been itching to replace the check straps with the series 2 version for quite a while, so the fact that it is getting stuck is the catalyst for me to look into this.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Hey cliffo78, years ago, I noticed the mount point on the pillar flexing due to the excessive holding power of the steel slider, so to avoide forseable problems coming up eg. bloody breaking off, I got out my 4" disc grinder and eased down the bumps of the slider so it still holds the door open (just) but is not so aggressive in the holding department. Result,..easy to use with virtually no grabbing or flexing of the pillar. I considered it a particularly bad design by GMH.

Pablo

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pablo, that is an excellent idea - if I have no choice but to stick with the original series 1 strap (slider) I will definitely try that. Thanks for that!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hey cliffo78, years ago, I noticed the mount point on the pillar flexing due to the excessive holding power of the steel slider, so to avoide forseable problems coming up eg. bloody breaking off, I got out my 4" disc grinder and eased down the bumps of the slider so it still holds the door open (just) but is not so aggressive in the holding department. Result,..easy to use with virtually no grabbing or flexing of the pillar. I considered it a particularly bad design by GMH.

Pablo

Until the wind blows the door shut and crushes your fingers...lol.

But a lot of the problems with door stays is lack of lubrication when servicing.