Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt SS manual gear stick.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vs 1995 Acclaim
I recently got a VT SS 5L manual and the gear stick pushes down and when it does that it doesn't go into gear at all. I've asked around and no one knows what the rubber is called for it to stop doing it... It's so annoying. Can anyone help? Greatly appreciated :)

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Go to the parts desk at your local dealership, they will be able to bring up a breakdown/parts list of the gearbox/shifter assembly. Then u will just need to pinpoint the actual rubber bush that needs replacing. (It should be in the actual shifter/tower/lever assembly- so places like autobarn and supercheap probably wont have it on file in their listings).

I also have no idea what it is called, but i know exactly what u r referring to.

but, once the knuckle on the shift lever bottoms out against the shift fork/rail internally, it should still move - with a feeling of resistance (depending on how hard u push downwards of course)

Unless ofcourse the vt/vx 5Ls came with the 6spd that had the detent for reverse which requires the stick to be pushed downwards to select reverse( in which case putting pressure on the stick will limit u to selecting reverse), OR, the finger lever on the stick which has to be pulled upwards to select reverse

...OR im thinking of the complete wrong gearbox and the 5L manual had none of the above features, in which case u just need a new rubber in the shifter

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Here you are. You should be able to work it out from the attached document.

Attachments

• VT1 V8 Manual Transmission.pdf
    212.2 KB · Views: 270