Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS suspension upgrade

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Yes the VY/VZ had the trailing arm pick up points altered to reduce camber change during suspension travel, coupled with the extra toe arms fitted from VX2 onward gives a more stable rear end geometry.

Camber change isn't a huge issue unless you are drag racing and it squats hard reducing tyre patch contact and therefore traction, for a road car under hard cornering load it should actually assist the contact patch, it's the change in toe that is going to make the rear end do funny things.

For VX2 onwards, only use the 2 point camber adjustment bushes. If you want to be really clever you need to get a wheel alignment done as the car is driven and under load (have someone record a hard launch and see how much it squats) then when the car is on the alignment machine put the equivalment weight in the drivers seat to match the driver and have them use ratchet straps to pull the rear end of the car down and then adjust the rear chamber to achieve the best possible tyre contact patch.

Well with semi-trailing arms, you are basically stuffed. Comes from the Opel Omega. They knew it was a poor-man's IRS and only lowered their "sports" models by 1 cm, but as for the Holden FE2, it is
what 1 inch?

Yes, but the design was improved over the years, modified correctly it isn't the end of the world.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Yes the VY/VZ had the trailing arm pick up points altered to reduce camber change during suspension travel, coupled with the extra toe arms fitted from VX2 onward gives a more stable rear end geometry.

Camber change isn't a huge issue unless you are drag racing and it squats hard reducing tyre patch contact and therefore traction, for a road car under hard cornering load it should actually assist the contact patch, it's the change in toe that is going to make the rear end do funny things.

For VX2 onwards, only use the 2 point camber adjustment bushes. If you want to be really clever you need to get a wheel alignment done as the car is driven and under load (have someone record a hard launch and see how much it squats) then when the car is on the alignment machine put the equivalment weight in the drivers seat to match the driver and have them use ratchet straps to pull the rear end of the car down and then adjust the rear chamber to achieve the best possible tyre contact patch.

Yes, but the design was improved over the years, modified correctly it isn't the end of the world.

Very informative, thanks. It sounds like the VY frame may be worth changing to if I can find one cheap, then install a 2-point camber kit as suggested.

To be honest, I don't plan on drag racing and launching. I would like it corner well and feel more responsive. The VT is obviously not the most favourable machine for the corners but I want to see how far it can be improved. ;)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Have a read of this, very informative.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/WL_White_paper_VT_toe_link.pdf

Half the trick of getting a car to handle well is fixing worn out **** and fixing the factory short comings, the other half is getting a decent wheel alignment done.

Great article, answers all of my questions regarding the rear frame!

What are owners using for good lowering springs these days? I'm told by one local dealer that only King Springs are available for the VT now.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
King springs are the big brand name but I have Dobi sport springs in our VX which should still be available.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
King springs are the big brand name but I have Dobi sport springs in our VX which should still be available.

Did you go Low or Superlow, or would you know how much each option would drop the height with Dobi's? I want to drop it maybe "one step" lower than FE2 to keep things practical, so my understanding is Low's are the way to go here.

Also, input from anyone who has paired Dobi's (or any other's) with Bilstein B8's regarding their compatibility (spring rate etc.) would be great!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Low is basically the same as FE2 so you would want SL springs.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I have super lows , pedders in my v2 monaro for at least 8 years , no real issues, still need to be a little careful it's not an acclaim or a 4by but yeah more than happy.

H

harrop.senator

Billy b8's are great ran them in multiple cars.

King springs are okay make sure they're the hd version.

If going used opt for Lovells or if retail price isn't much different to king's new go Lovells either way.

I'm running dobinsons in the senator with my billys as they had a huge sale on couple years ago and were doing them at $80 a pair. Better then the Pedders that were fitted before hand.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Thanks, superlows it is then.

Price isn't too much of an issue, in the sense I would prefer to pay for a quality product that performs well and doesn't fail prematurely. Brands such as Eibach and H&R that have been matched with Bilsteins (see B12's) don't seem be available for the VT.

I'll take a look at Lovell's. I'm leaning toward Dobinsons's as these can be sourced locally too.