Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT stalling while driving

VT Fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 Wagon
First I would like to say this is a great site, I found it while googling for info on the problem im having with my car.

The problem Im having is when im driving along the car loses power and goes into a stalled state. The lights on the dash only come on when the car has stopped. I have had the DFI Module changed, the Crank Angle Sensor changed twice and a new BCM put in. The problem only happens on hot days. WHen they poured cold water on the Crank Angle Sensor it starts straight away. I only got it back from the shop yesterday after they put in the second crank angle sensor and I was on my way home from work today and it stopped on me again. When it stalled I only waited 10 seconds before I started it and it started up straight away, but before they attempted to fix it the first time I use to have to wait about 5 - 10 minutes before i could start it and it would only go for a few minutes before it would stop again. WHen I did try and start it it sounded like it was starving for fuel. After they changed the sensor the first time it went fine for 5 days and then started playing up. They took it for a drive while they had the computer hooked up and it stalled on them and they were able to get a few codes which they said was the BCM, after they changed the BCM they took it for a drive again and it still played up so they put the old BCM in and put a new Crank Angle Sensor in. They said they couldnt get any codes from the ECU yesterday but I think they will only get a code if it plays up. Any ideas on what else it may be. All I know is its a heat related problem.

So far my bill is around the $1000 mark and they still havent fixed it.

The codes they were getting were DTC 99 and DTC 17.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
DTC 17 is an internal fault in the PCM related to engine coolant sensor
DTC 99 i don't have listed
are you sure they changed the BCM and not the PCM?
sounds like you may have more than one fault.
unless you can get some test gear on when it faults it will be hard to diagnose, there are not many things that can go wrong that don't log a code
try swapping your fuel pump relay and fuses,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
This is a long shot but i had the same trouble with my old Legacy. At some stage someone had put a cheap and nasty thermostat in it which caused the ECU to lean out to much or over fuel and flood. Took me months and close to $1400 before they found it and that cheap thermostat didn't spit out any fault codes either. Could an old clogged up fuel filter be part of the problem also?

VT Fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 Wagon
He said he changed the BCM. The coolant fault would make sense. I had a leaking water pump and because I work 5 days a week and I can never get my car to the mechanics due to my work hours I have just been topping it up with water, how long have I been doing this for, only about 8 months ( this is about when the problem started, but I never had a problem in winter as it was cooler unless i let the car idle for too long). The mechanic changed the water pump 3 weeks ago and said it needed a real good flushing out but he only put water back in. Would not having coolant give me that fault.

The fuel filter has been changed and no problem, but it was really dirty. He drained it in to any empty coke bottle and ther was mud in the bottom of the bottle. I live up a dirt road so that could explaint some of the reason why there would be mud in the fuel tank.

The car dies as if it has been switched off but on start up sounds like its not getting fuel.

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
My VT does exactly the same thing. Only in summer on a hot day and a long drive. I've read the only solution is to trade it in.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if the filter was that dirty the sock strainer in the tank is probably clogged, many years ago a shop i used had to diagnose a HJ / HX with almost identical problem to yours, ended up the lining on the tank had delaminated and was blocking the suction pipe, when the engine stalled the lining would float away for another day.
when the car stalls try turning the ignition to on for 5 secs then off then on again for 5 secs before cranking. still would try a fuel pump relay and fuse as won't cost much and is a good possibility

VT Fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 Wagon
The problem im having only happens on a hot day though. Of a morning or on a cool day it runs like a dream. I think i may have a go at changing out my thermostat and the coolant sensor.

paulsautoelec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
check your charcoal canister is not full of fuel . i have seen this many times when the car is being filled stop at the first click of the trigger. if you fill to the top fuel will run down the breather line to the canister.
(this has been the problem with many late model fords here in darwin after they spent thousands on replaceing parts that were not faulty). if the canister is full fuel will tranfer into manifold and run very rich,ego sensors tell pcm to shut down fuel then ign.

curtcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Its the CAS trust me. I have had issues for the past 6 months. Car cuts out on hot days after about 30 mins of driving, occurs genrelly in peak hour traffic or when idling. Car doesnt start again until it is cooled down. Had mechanic chuck in a new CAS, took him half an hour, well worth the 180dollers. nothin worse driving home, turning off the car then waiting it too cool down til it starts again.

curtcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
My VT does exactly the same thing. Only in summer on a hot day and a long drive. I've read the only solution is to trade it in.
lol new crank angle sensor. Common prolem for Commodores, particually over 130ks