Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT supercharged V6 transmission slipping

Mitchell1973

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S pac commodore supercharged V6
I recently had the auto transmission rebuilt in my commodore and everything was running well, however recently the transmission has started slipping out of fourth gear and the problem seems to be becoming more frequent. When this happens, i pull over and turn the car off which seems to reset everything and the car will reach fourth gear again. Transmission fluid is good and at proper level

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
When you say "slipping out of gear" is that into neutral?

Mitchell1973

Reaction score
Members Ride
no it doesnt go into neutral, rather jumps down into third gear and being supercharged it loves a drink when revving higher

Mitchell1973

Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried to open the link vx, but for some reason it wouldnt let me. Thanks anyway. Do you think this problem im having could be related to the throttle position sensor

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I tried to open the link vx, but for some reason it wouldnt let me. Thanks anyway. Do you think this problem im having could be related to the throttle position sensor
It is in PDF, Just have to wait for it to load.

If the shifter is physically jumping into 3rd then it would have nothing to do with the TPS.

I do remember reading somehwere not too long ago about the 4l60e's jumping out of gear, Ill try find that and have a read.

But i believe it's not good, Like may require box to be removed to fix.

Mitchell1973

Reaction score
Members Ride
The shifter isn't physically jumping down into third gear, rather it stays in drive and the box itself jumps down into third until I deccelerate and it kicks down further which all appears normal. However the box will not achieve fourth gear again unless I actually turn the ignition off and back on. I will try the link again and see how I go thank you

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Take it back to where you got it rebuilt, they should be able to sus out the problem for you. Did it come with some sort of warranty?

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
The shifter isn't physically jumping down into third gear, rather it stays in drive and the box itself jumps down into third until I deccelerate and it kicks down further which all appears normal. However the box will not achieve fourth gear again unless I actually turn the ignition off and back on. I will try the link again and see how I go thank you

Yeh either take it back or have to tried a reset?.

More sounding electric issue now, It is probably a solenoid issue.
Either a wire has come off or the solenoid itself is faulty.

Mitchell1973

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate, yes it did come with a 2 year warranty so Im going to take it back and hopefully get them to sort it out. Thank you very much for your input and time