Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt Tweeter Wiring

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
So you have only a pair of tweeters? it "is" possible to wire them into the stock wiring but they will need some type of a crossover to cut the lower frequencies (they'll last about 3 seconds if you dont use some type of crossover or capacitor).

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
still confused on the wire thing!!!! i know it should be a basic thing but i really want to get this right first go! sorry to be a pain! where should i run these wires??
Connect the tweeter in parallel with the woofer in the door. You can splice the wires going to the woofer around the kickpanel area. Or you could run your new cable into the door and connect it up to the back of the woofer. It's up to you :)

As above you'll need a crossover of some sort to prevent low frequencies from blowing up the tweeter. I think the stock wiring usually just has a capacitor wired in series with the tweeter but honestly i haven't looked (when installing aftermarket speakers i just unplugged my tweeters and left them in the dash).
Either way, a ~13uf bipolar capacitor (anything from 10uf to 15uf should do) wired in series with the tweeter will do the trick. This will crossover the tweeter around 3khz which should be fine.

edit - here you go:
3725652843_c8274fca38_o.jpg

Last edited:

LowVtWagon

LowVtWagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT Acclaim Wagon
once again guys sorry to be a pain!! the tweeters do have a crossover (says in the instructions) they are rockford fosgate RF-X1T. they reckon the power handling is 100 watts max. the only sub i run is boxed in the back so only standard speakers in the front and rear doors plus standard tweeters up in the dash (original equipment)! im guessing i could hook up the wires to the standard speaker?? would this be the same as hooking up the wires to the sub wires??

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
once again guys sorry to be a pain!! the tweeters do have a crossover (says in the instructions) they are rockford fosgate RF-X1T. they reckon the power handling is 100 watts max. the only sub i run is boxed in the back so only standard speakers in the front and rear doors plus standard tweeters up in the dash (original equipment)! im guessing i could hook up the wires to the standard speaker?? would this be the same as hooking up the wires to the sub wires??

The woofer in that diagram is referring to the standard speaker, not a SUBwoofer, which is what you have in the boot.
So yeah, you want them hooked up to the standard speaker wires, not the sub wire.