Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt V6 hissing sound under light throttle

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
They could get hairline cracks in them I guess but I think that would cause more of a high pitched whistle rather than the "I've got a pod filter now" sound that mine gives under light throttle.

A guy at Holden felt that it was the Purge valve and somehow whatever I did finished it off:thumbsup: hope not, and hope it isn't too expensive, but these local cars a great, most parts are not unreasonable in comparison to imports.

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Well if you work out what it is, let us know.... I have the same thing in my car and it comes from the passenger side through the firewall. I know the sound
is coming in through the firewall Grommit, but i dont know where the sound is coming from so it has to be close by. Was fine when I got the car, then a few months
later it started, and havent been able to locate the problem yet.

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
hmm

Got the exact same problem, light coasting accelleration but it goes away when u accel hard. I thought it might have been the new K&N filter but who knows :/ im pretty sure its not the purge hose on the t/b but i could be wrong :/

did you find the problem if so what was it please as i am having the same problem..

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
hey did you find the problem and if so what was it please as i have the same ploblem

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
My purge hose looks fine, the connections are tightly on. Can they get slight cracks in the hose overtime and cause the hissing that way ?
its a $10 hose from holden...just replace if your not sure...
with all the heat it isnt hard to it to crack.
the hose runs from under the throttle body to the purge valve at the back of the engine near the firewall running through the manifold area.
take the cover off and you will see.

Yes you can hear it under the bonnet when you quickly 'blip' the throttle on then off again putting it momentarily under load, the sucking sound comes from the back (firewall side) of the throttle body.

I really should remove that engine cover and try listening again with the intake tube connected, maybe then I'll locate it, it may be a split hose or something to do with the EGR valve which I had to disconnect from the left exhaust manifold pipe.
deffinately a vacumn issue. air leak somewhere
as said above if not sure just replace the hose $10 isnt a big spend

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Any1 got photos of the area in question. Wouldn't mind replacing it myself, just so i know its done and at $10, why not?? Easy to replace??

metalfossil

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem. Underload it was never noticeable. However, when I was coasting it sometimes sounded like my vacumn cleaner:)

It was eventually diagnosed as the Exhaust Gas Recirulation valve.

Is it almost stalling when you start it from cold?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Any1 got photos of the area in question. Wouldn't mind replacing it myself, just so i know its done and at $10, why not?? Easy to replace??

here you go mate...photos i took off my old VT last year

Attachments

• purge01.jpg
    purge01.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 6,699
  • purge02.jpg
    purge02.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3,492
  • purge03.jpg
    purge03.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,799

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Sorry, I have had computer probs but am back online now, Found the problem, it was the purge hose which runs from under the throttle body to behind the engine (3rd photo EXCESSV thanks:thumbsup: ) it was behind the engine detached from a black plastic elbow which is difficult to see at first.

I had to take off the engine cover, I did this previously as not_an_abba_fan had suggested but did not check properly, the car now gets better economy, runs cooler and goes better, thanks for all of your replies everyone, it is a common problem and I hope this thread helps others with the same problem.:)

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
no problems muso
glad its sorted.

those pics are over a year old when i had the VT...there was a thread on this same issue back then and it helped then too...