Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VW Vs EPA drama ?

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
What they sold to the public IS what passed the test. The public will get the same results as the test results too if they drive to the test requirements.

Does anybody know what VW did to pass the tests? What we do know is VW have admitted running a different tune when undergoing testing than what was put on the cars that were passed on to the public.

I read somewhere that there has been numerous ways that manufacturers have forged tests, one way was to hook up a second tune to run when the engine bay light was on as cars are tested with bonnets up to keep engine temps down. If this is what VW have done then your right, all owners have to do is drive with the bonnets open and everything will be sweet.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Yu
Does anybody know what VW did to pass the tests? What we do know is VW have admitted running a different tune when undergoing testing than what was put on the cars that were passed on to the public.

I read somewhere that there has been numerous ways that manufacturers have forged tests, one way was to hook up a second tune to run when the engine bay light was on as cars are tested with bonnets up to keep engine temps down. If this is what VW have done then your right, all owners have to do is drive with the bonnets open and everything will be sweet.

The software is able to recognise the various inputs which are used to standardise the test- accelerator settings, brake settings and even things like steering settings. It is quite sophisticated. It is not quite clear how emissions were reduced but could involve exhaust recirculating among other things. To get the same results owners would have to sit on the standard test rig with the same inputs and would get much reduced performance even though going nowhere. When engine is not operating under test conditions and with the cheat software NOx emissions are about 40 times higher.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yu

The software is able to recognise the various inputs which are used to standardise the test- accelerator settings, brake settings and even things like steering settings. It is quite sophisticated. It is not quite clear how emissions were reduced but could involve exhaust recirculating among other things. To get the same results owners would have to sit on the standard test rig with the same inputs and would get much reduced performance even though going nowhere. When engine is not operating under test conditions and with the cheat software NOx emissions are about 40 times higher.

According to the toob i posted a few posts back, just putting it on a awd dyno is enough to fool it into not going into test mode.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
We need to also realize that a lot of these regulations they are obsolete and perhaps revised once in a couple of decades. For example, our gas guzzler tax applies to cars but not to Trucks or SUVs and we all know what is on fashion these days. They keep tightening the emissions, but the testing is pretty much the same; based on old technology.

Also, testing facilities (smog check) has to be as cost effective as possible. I do not know how the EPA and CARB certify the vehicles (lab test or real smog stations). If they are sloppy or their test is obsolete, they should go back to the drawing board. It happens on Racing all the time when a team finds a way of taking an advantage of certain rules and other teams cry foul.

The VW drama is just probably a witch hunt waiting to happen (CARB and EPA might allocated already funds for Torches and Pitch Forks). If someone offers me a VW TDI tomorrow, I will buy it on a heartbeat. What will prevent me from driving is the Gov decided to ban them from the road (unable to register). Happened in the past with the GM EV1; they all got crushed and disabled the surviving few.

The irony is, the same agency that killed the electric car is the same one killing the VW TDI. There are mix feelings out of the whole thing. A fashion that despite the Oil Industry and Greenies wants to run Bio-Diesel. The Gov they support seems to favor either Battery Powered, CNG or Gasoline. Completely opposed to a renewable source eco friendly Bio-Diesel.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
We need to also realize that a lot of these regulations they are obsolete and perhaps revised once in a couple of decades. For example, our gas guzzler tax applies to cars but not to Trucks or SUVs and we all know what is on fashion these days. They keep tightening the emissions, but the testing is pretty much the same; based on old technology.

Also, testing facilities (smog check) has to be as cost effective as possible. I do not know how the EPA and CARB certify the vehicles (lab test or real smog stations). If they are sloppy or their test is obsolete, they should go back to the drawing board. It happens on Racing all the time when a team finds a way of taking an advantage of certain rules and other teams cry foul.

The VW drama is just probably a witch hunt waiting to happen (CARB and EPA might allocated already funds for Torches and Pitch Forks). If someone offers me a VW TDI tomorrow, I will buy it on a heartbeat. What will prevent me from driving is the Gov decided to ban them from the road (unable to register). Happened in the past with the GM EV1; they all got crushed and disabled the surviving few.

The irony is, the same agency that killed the electric car is the same one killing the VW TDI. There are mix feelings out of the whole thing. A fashion that despite the Oil Industry and Greenies wants to run Bio-Diesel. The Gov they support seems to favor either Battery Powered, CNG or Gasoline. Completely opposed to a renewable source eco friendly Bio-Diesel.

It'd be really nice if you decided to actually post some facts instead of a bunch of complete tripe and conspiracy nonsense.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Seriously?

I can say this much. Helped a friend with his Merc Diesel to convert to Bio Diesel. Researched the tech pretty well, also was planning on building an Electric car too; gave up on the idea, could not find a suitable and affordable battery. You should try it, very interesting when you get in to the technical aspect.

Was brought to my attention today about they are looking into Chrysler-Fiat.

Beside saying nonsense, lets discuss it, prove me wrong instead of insulting.

I got a name for all to look into, Roger Revelle. Does anybody knows who is he without looking?

Uchū Kaizoku

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Arcadia
Seriously?

I can say this much. Helped a friend with his Merc Diesel to convert to Bio Diesel. Researched the tech pretty well, also was planning on building an Electric car too; gave up on the idea, could not find a suitable and affordable battery. You should try it, very interesting when you get in to the technical aspect.

Was brought to my attention today about they are looking into Chrysler-Fiat.

Beside saying nonsense, lets discuss it, prove me wrong instead of insulting.

I got a name for all to look into, Roger Revelle. Does anybody knows who is he without looking?

Sorry to get off topic with text bashing the cheating sneaky Germans, but the VE/VF/G8 ECU does support the 2ML series hybrid gearbox as a swap to the 6L80 this is a gutsy 200kw hybrid motor / generator that on truck installs runs off an SLA battery. That was eight years ago, swap that for Lithium cells and decent digital power management and refit where spare wheel well is. Voilá, stop start hybrid Commie.

Pir4te blogged about it with Atkinson cycle some years back.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Pir4te blogged about it with Atkinson cycle some years back.

Thanks Pirate!

Ride
SS-V Arcadia

Referring to Pirate with the 4 instead of the a as well as knowing he posted "some years back". Unless you've read the whole forum for "some years back" since you joined last month, right after Pir4te, aka QAR was banned again. Not to mention 宇宙海賊 translating to Space Pirate. Not sure why the タトゥー (translating to tattoo) though... And Uchū Kaizoku being from the 1978 animated Space Pirate TV series (or 2013 movie)... With "Arcadia" being from the 1982 sequel.

So welcome back Pir4te. :D

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Cool, will like to see that. Hey, I am a sucker for new technology. The part that got me is the Lithium Batteries, pretty darn pricey and seen some pretty nasty crap with Lithium Ion (check on the 787 battery incidents) Looked on Nickel Metal Hydride and cannot be obtained on a size big enough for a car. A bunch of little ones is way too heavy; but is a proven technology that powered GM's EV1. On the EV1 ran on 3 Phase AC Power via an inverter (I think was 400 Hz); pretty clever I must say.

Honestly, I am all in on Electric cars, is the way to go to be honest. Right how to supply power to the motors is the biggest hurdle. Fuel Cell is the answer in my opinion but nobody have come out with a cost effective one.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
VW take their bat and ball and just go home.

Volkswagen to cancel 2016 U.S. diesel models after cheating scandal

Admitted emissions-cheat Volkswagen is set to cancel the sale of its entire range of diesel models in the U.S. for the 2016 model year.

According to written copies of testimony acquired by the Los Angeles Times, VW's North American CEO Michael Horn plans to announce the move before Congress on Thursday. Horn will also reportedly apologize to Congress for "Volkswagen's use of a program that served to defeat" emissions tests.

Interestingly, the withdrawal of the company's application to sell diesel-powered vehicles in the U.S. includes larger diesel turbo direct injected (TDI) models not implicated by so-called dieselgate. While some had questioned the tailpipe emission cleanliness of the company's 3.0-liter TDI engines, it was the smaller 2.0-liter TDIs that were the focus of the Environmental Protection Agency's investigation.

While the move might seem shocking to some, it was already a foregone conclusion. After all, the EPA refused to certify the company's TDI models for sale in the U.S. earlier this year in light of emissions concerns. And it was the refusal to certify VW's 2016 diesel models that led the world's largest automaker to admit it had cheated emissions tests.

The question that remains unanswered is what exactly VW will do to fix the affected TDI models, which include several brands and as many as six model years.

A proposed software fix would be the cheapest option, however, it would slash engine power output and efficiency. Another alternative is retrofitting the vehicles with exhaust treatment systems that could bring emissions to legal levels, however, this could cost roughly $3,000 per car. The last and most costly option, but one that would save most face with customers, would be a buy-back program in which VW would give customers new cars or simply buy the affected model from them.

Until a decision is made, current VW diesel owners will just have to wait. At least now we know there won't be any more customers added to the 'conned' list for 2016.

Seriously?

seriously, stop just making stuff up.

Last edited: