Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX 2002 - Lite airy steering, All over the road.

Reecespieces

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SS commodore
Hey Guys

I have a 2002 VX Sr2 Equipe Commodore
205000km, Always serviced regularly.

I hear a clunk noise in the front, this has been there since I have owned the car but the weird loose steering is only been the last couple of weeks.
I also think the front wheel bearing might be on its way out? whether this makes enough movement in the bearing to make the steering unstable im not sure.

Basically, any speed over say 50kmph, any slight curve in the road makes the car pull to one direction, doing 100.. makes for constant corrections to stay in the lane, and on a uneven road (most of QLD) its not a smooth ride anymore. The steering feels light an "air'y" and not tied down to the road. The car has 19s on it with low profile tyres... but again it hasn't always don't this. The car is not lowered

The control an sway bushes in the front were only just replaced, im not too sure what to do from here, I can get the wheel bearing hubs and change that but I don't think that is the problem.

Any solutions I would be very grateful.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Is your say bar link pins standard, they might be shagged, take off front wheel and have a look, if so you could get 4 Nolathane bushes for them or a complete double ball joint pin then GET A WHEEL ALIGNMENT if you have not already.
If you plan on keeping the car get new tie rod ends and caster rod bushes. all can be installed at home and then take it straight down and get it aligned

Double end pivot bearing.
web_stb9020.jpg

Nolathane bushes.
hqdefault.jpg

Reecespieces

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SS commodore
Hey mate,

I have looked at the bushes, they look decent, the ball joint end of the link still looks fresh, is there any way to test them before buying replacements?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
How are the inner and outer bushes on the lower control arm? Wear hear or loose nuts will cause a wondery feel to occur.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Easiest way to check the entire steering system for wear and tear is to jack up one side of the car (key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel) and then grab the raised wheel at 3 Oclock and 9 Oclock and manipulate the wheel backwards and forwards. If you get any movement at all you have wear in either the rack ends or the tie rods.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Or radius rod bushes.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Easiest way to check the entire steering system for wear and tear is to jack up one side of the car (key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel) and then grab the raised wheel at 3 Oclock and 9 Oclock and manipulate the wheel backwards and forwards. If you get any movement at all you have wear in either the rack ends or the tie rods.

Couldn't that also indicate a worn bearing?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Couldn't that also indicate a worn bearing?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Worn bearing the movement will be there in all planes ie hands at 3 and 9 o clock as well as 12 and 6 o clock. With your hands at 3 and 9 o clock if you can push the wheels inwards at the rear and at 12 and 6 o clock there is no movement it's probably a rack end.

oldmateadz

Alcoholic
Reaction score
Website
www.chambersofinsanity.com
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2 V6
Did you run up a gutter? I flogged out my front 2 shocks once by doing that... the steering was doing the same thing as yours afterwards.
Push down on each side, and if it bounces up and down a few times... your struts are frigged.

MrNutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX wagon
Money on tie rod ends for this one, check as mentioned above. While its in the air put a long lever under the tyre & give it a sharp jolt upwards. Look for movement in the inner control arm bushes. If your clunk happens when you apply the brake then probably your control arm bushes are shagged. If the wheel bearing was bad enough to cause this you would hear it grumbling loud & clear. Only takes 5 mins to get the calliper & rotor off though so you might as well have a look at them while your under there.