Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Aftermarket stereo head units? anyone with experience?

Rockydp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
hi all, got my 2002 vx calais.
stock head unit or stacker is cooked and there pretty crappy and not with the times anyway..
can anyone who has actually done it recommend a good aftermarket unit that wont need half a work shop worth of tools to install?
im not that technically minded.. although i understand there is some wiring and the fascia that would need to be done.
i dont need anything state of the art.. just a good double din head unit with the basic options. iphone connection, usb, bluetooth those things would be nice.. can anyone recommend a specific unit? thanks

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Edition S2 3.8
Hi it would be worth the upgrade even if your head unit was not "cooked".

This is what i got recently 6 2'' Double 2 DIN CAR DVD Player Radio Stereo Head Unit GPS SAT NAV Bluetooth | eBay

Cheapest you will get with gps is that one, i have not had any problems with it so far had it for a few months every thing works perfect.

even hooked up reverse camera to it which i got for $17 of ebay aswell.

To install it you dont even need to remove the dash fascia just take out the old head unit and it slots right in comes with its own fascia surround to.

get your self one of these Aerpro ISO Connector Holden VT VX VU UTE APP062 | eBay

and it plugs straight into the oem harness and into the new head unit. the head unit also comes with steering wheel button wiring but mine did not need it.

just run the usb connector to your glove box and gps aerial there too gets reception in the glove box no need to mount it on dash.

i didnt even use the fascia on the head unit , already looks neat enough with out it i will take a pic later and post it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
pioneer, kenwood, etc. pick a unit you like(walk into a store and have a play with them)

note: most pioneer and some kenwood units now only use one remote/antenna wire, so if you want the antenna to go down while using cd/usb/etc, you need to make sure the unit you buy has separate remote and antenna wires.

then buy the following from anyone who sells aerpro products

CHLVTVXA - steering wheel control harness(or APP062 if you dont care to keep the wheel controls working)
secondary harness and SWC adapter to suit headunit you purchase
FP8018 double din fascia kit

that will give you a near plug and play solution. the 2 wires for the steering wheel controls will need to be connected to the harness on the car. preferably solder these on.

rest of the job is really just unscrewing the instrument cluster surround and gearstick surround and mounting it all.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i am just collecting a shopping list fo my wifes vx
alpine head unit CDE W265EBT $236 Alpine Electronics of Australia
aerpro accesories
fascia kit FP9018 $30 makes install much easier FP9018 Holden vt-vx facia kit | Aerpro
main loom to suit alpine $120 SWC CHVTVXA CHVTVXA Control harness a for holden | Aerpro
alpine steering wheel patch lead $30 apalpa Search | Aerpro
not sure which secondary cable i require until i see plug connector on alpine head unit
with these parts should take about 30 minutes to install with no wiring to do, all plug and play and steering wheel controls will still work
works out around $470 all up and a child could do it

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
CHLVTVXA
CHVTVXA

Make sure you get the top listed one, otherwise the steering wheel controls won't work.

As has been said, with the plug and play harnesses and fitting kit, it's very straight forward

Rockydp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
thanks for the replies guys! deffinently going to look into that ebay one! looks awsome

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just buy something you like and use aeropro harnesses available from ebay or supercheap - I'd avoid ebay HU's though, never heard or seen a good one.

Rockydp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
do you have to remove any trim getting the gps and bluetooth wiring into the glovebox or can you just thread it in? thanks mate

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Edition S2 3.8
You can just thread it through there is no bluetooth wiring just usb cord and gps antenna might aswell get the reverse camera as well before you put it in so you dont have to remove the headunit again. i got a cheapie one of ebay for $17