Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question around Head Units

Triodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Ute
Hi all,

I'm not really a car guy, or even an audiophile really, I just need some answers as there is a LOT of stuff online and I don't know what's what.

I bought a second hand SV6 Ute recently and the radio and air con don't work. Mechanic stated that the head unit didn't come from this car and he can't marry anything up, so suggested an auto elec.

I figured if I am going to spend money on an auto elec, I may as well upgrade my radio to something nicer. This is where I fall over. I am looking at after market head units, and obviously need to include the climate control, so I'm getting confused as to what I should look for.

From what I can tell:
  • An after market head unit will need an installation kit\fascia kit
  • Not all units will come with this kit OR
  • NO units come with this kit
Am I right in these assumptions? What should I be looking for? If I have an installation\fascia kit, can I install any head unit?

Please note that as stated above, I will use a professional for the installation, as I obviously have no clue and will very likely make things worse.

I don't want anything crazy fancy, just my air con working and bluetooth would be nice. My last car had no air con for the last 4 years, so I really want it before Summer! If anyone knows a good place to purchase this kind of thing, that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi all,

I'm not really a car guy, or even an audiophile really, I just need some answers as there is a LOT of stuff online and I don't know what's what.

I bought a second hand SV6 Ute recently and the radio and air con don't work. Mechanic stated that the head unit didn't come from this car and he can't marry anything up, so suggested an auto elec.

I figured if I am going to spend money on an auto elec, I may as well upgrade my radio to something nicer. This is where I fall over. I am looking at after market head units, and obviously need to include the climate control, so I'm getting confused as to what I should look for.

From what I can tell:
  • An after market head unit will need an installation kit\fascia kit
  • Not all units will come with this kit OR
  • NO units come with this kit
Am I right in these assumptions? What should I be looking for? If I have an installation\fascia kit, can I install any head unit?

Please note that as stated above, I will use a professional for the installation, as I obviously have no clue and will very likely make things worse.

I don't want anything crazy fancy, just my air con working and bluetooth would be nice. My last car had no air con for the last 4 years, so I really want it before Summer! If anyone knows a good place to purchase this kind of thing, that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance!
Ok, what model/year is your SV6?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes you will definitely need an install kit. Aerpro are the cheapest. The other alternative is an Alpine but you the cost is around $2k for that kit.

Triodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Ute
Righto, thanks for that. Am I right to assume any unit can go in there as long as it fits? Or should be searching for SV6\VE specific units?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anything double din should be fine. Pioneer have a good range from med - high end priced units.

Triodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Ute
Thank you so much for your help. To everyone! This has been immensely helpful and set me on the right path :)