Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Berlina Cuts Out While Driving, And...

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Hi All.
I have a 3.8L 2001 VX with about 155K on the clock.

It has been acting up a few times over the past few months with these symptoms:

1) I'd be driving along some (usually busy Sydney) road and suddenly the car would cut out, with the battery light showing the motor had stopped. Any attempt to start it (after hazard lights on and pulling off the road) would just crank and not fire. Ten to fifteen minutes later it would start and go for the rest of the day.

2) Today both the Engine symbol light and the Trac Off light came on, but the car did not cut out. I stopped, switched off the engine and restarted it a few seconds later. Both lights then stayed OFF.

4) The other day and later today, the car cut out again while driving, EXCEPT that I could re-start it immediately (after pulling off the road again).

5) Another thing from the other day and again this morning was that after I had stopped the car for about an hour, it would NOT start, and would only crank. I tried cranking about every ten seconds for about a second or two each time. It usually starts straightaway when it's behaving. In both cases it only started again after about fifteen minutes. That's a similar amount of time as when it cuts out.

These symptoms occur about once or twice a week, and nothing else is obvious, like overheating or rough idling or anything like that. Recently I drove about 100 km again over four days with no issue at all.

I have had the car checked by a mechanic (several times) and all he could find wrong the very first time were worn out spark plugs. He replaced these and assured me that everything else was "in spec", like coils, leads, timing belts, fuel injectors). He also cleaned out the idle control valve (I think it's called). Later he also took and used the car for a few days. He said that nothing happened with it in that time (for about 100 km).

Well, that's the sorry and a potentially hazardous tale. I'd appreciate any insights on this.

Thanks, M.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sounds a bit like the symptoms of a faulty CAS (Crank Angle Sensor). Do search on that.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yeap second vote for cas

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Thanks, guys. I reckon I'll be looking at the CAS :cool:

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Also, just maybe the fuel pump is on the way out, I remember the same thing with my VR, working fine then out of nowhere she stops, sometimes it would start then other times nothing, I found out my subwoofer was the reason it kept working as the thump made it jolt and spin the pump, till one night I filled up, yip 68 liters of fuel not fun trying to find storage for fuel on the side of the road, road side cost me 220 to replace.
CAS are knowing for sure as they heat the case opens if cracked, keep a bottle of water in the car, if it cuts out or won't start after shutting it down pour cold water over the thing, if it then starts it be your issue. Also check the battery terminals for damage or loose and the earth cable. Good luck.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
A fast and dirty way of checking the CAS is when your car stops, dump some water down the front of the engine behind the crank shaft pulley. If your car then starts up again pretty much straight away you can be fairly confident it is the CAS that's at fault.

Edit: Should have read through all of the responses first because I see now that Bay 13 just mentioned this. Consider this a +1 for the water trick then.

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Thanks, guys. I suppose you can guess... It has hardly done it in the past few days, and the two times it did,
it started up again straight away. :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
When time permits, do it sooner than later, it'll stop when you need to get somewhere the most