Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Berlina Gas Or Not To Gas

Pookie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Looking at some VX Berlina and im not sure if i should get one on Gas or not.

I travel about 350 km a week to work and i am wondering is there really that much a saving by having a car on Gas doing this many KMs a week ?

Ive found to cars i like but one is on gas and the other isnt.The one that isnt on gas i like more than the one on Gas

HELP HELP IM CONFUSED

M

mwb235

Looking at some VX Berlina and im not sure if i should get one on Gas or not.

I travel about 350 km a week to work and i am wondering is there really that much a saving by having a car on Gas doing this many KMs a week ?

Ive found to cars i like but one is on gas and the other isnt.The one that isnt on gas i like more than the one on Gas

HELP HELP IM CONFUSED

Pookie didn't anyone's response in this thread (that you started 11 days ago) answer your questions?

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/151831-vx-gas.html

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
Id never own a gas car but that just my opinion!

M

mwb235

Id never own a gas car but that just my opinion!

Yea gas has a bad rep 'cause of the old mixer setups which are fraught with problems. Not so with the latest gas injection (vapour or liquid) it's come a long way since the mixer days.

But i understand a lot of people feel the same way as you, particularly those who've owned a car with a dodgy gas installation.

My guess is long term LPG may fall by the wayside anyway as the govt will start taxing it to the hilt (even more than the upcoming 12.5% over 5 years 2011-15). That'd leave PULP only for the old-school enthuiasts (classic V8's etc) as the demand for gas will decline to the point the servos won't bother with it anymore. If that eventuates it'll be a real pity as in Australia we have heaps of gas in reserve (Bass Strait etc) to last us ages.

But i've read the experts saying electric cars will overtake combustion engines within 20 years, so the question of "gas or petrol?" will no longer be relevant.

M

mwb235

wrong post - deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
just for the record LPG is cheap because it's a by product of making petrol and not from the gas reserves we have in bass strait

M

mwb235

just for the record LPG is cheap because it's a by product of making petrol and not from the gas reserves we have in bass strait

That's true but we don't get any of our petrol from Bass Strait either AFAIK (its crude oil isn't suitable) but maybe that's wrong too i'm no expert. Anyway i was just making the point that Australia has heaps of LPG available. We even export it to China for bugger all.

Pookie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore

stressed

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx/ss gen 111
there are some good points and bad for useing gas
good points
cheap to fill
good for engine
good for the environment
bad points
have to get to check each year plus your rego ( add cost )
the gas tank only last 10 years and has to be pull out and sent away for checks
lost in boot space
you use more gas than petrol so less kms