Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Bonnet won't open again : (

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
21/09/15 - Yeah we had a win, slapped on the corner of the bonnet while pulling on the bonnet release and it popped open.
I've made an adjustment and it locks and opens better than before but the bonnet still doesn't sit level with the guards so this afternoon I'll go see the wreckers and take some measurements from a VX that the bonnet sits well.
Using calipers I'll measure how far the spring bolt thing sticks out the bonnet and also measure how far the 3 front rubbers protrude out of the bonnet.

D

devilly

on the mounting bolts check how many washers are there :) mine had none and when i put a washer either side it sat down very nicely.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
on the mounting bolts check how many washers are there :) mine had none and when i put a washer either side it sat down very nicely.

Good news, we fitted a newish springy thingy and adjusted as per the average setting at the wreckers and now the bonnet sits perfect on both front corners.
Even when we pop the bonnet it sounds like a solid pop and not the soft pop as before.

11/10/15 - Just back from 2 weeks on the road and it still pops good.

Last edited:

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
Old thread I know, but as these cars get older this issue will become more common and more searched particularly for the following reason.

As others have experienced my bonnet failed to open, after looking at it the most obvious causes and there remedies did not fix the problem. I then did a google search which did not produce anything I had not already tried, so back to the drawing board. Closer inspection revealed the cause which was not mentioned in any of the many threads I read about this issue, and that is "wear" of the release spring and its slot. Both the spring and slot get deep channels, so that when closed and with the load of the bonnet latch spring, the release spring gets locked in the wear marks and no matter how much pressure is put on the lever it will not release.

I have ordered a new release spring and have made a temporary fix by adding a cable tie behind the cable retaining clip, this pulls the release spring back enough to get is out of wear channels but not to far so that it does not latch. This works a treat and it opens smoothly and easily.

Now, big question is how do I fix the wear in the hole in the body part? Any thoughts ideas most appreciated.
DSCN3094.JPG
DSCN3096.JPG
DSCN3097.JPG
DSCN3098.JPG
DSCN3100.JPG

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Weld on the lever, then file. Much the same with the slot mig weld and file.