Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Calais Rebuild

Lacray65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais series 2 Supercharged
Can i legaly put a 327 crate motor in my 2001 vx calais series2 supercharged model? I am a chippy by trade and am taking on my first projecr car.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you're talking about the SBC 327, not without engineering, and with engineering it needs to meet emissions for whichever is newer out of the car or the engine. Short answer is no.

If you're talking about one of the LS short stroke packages, then you could probably do it, but you'd be waaay better off starting with something that's already V8.

Lacray65

Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries mate thanks for the advice. Am still up in the air. Have a series2 supercharged vx with 140k on it. Maybe a rebuild and possibly twin turbo by Goat Industries?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you want it to be legal the turbo setup also has to be engineered.

What's your aim? What do you want to do with the car?

Lacray65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Definately keep it legal. It is in immaculate condition but due to the age am going to update engine,suspension(to tow boat-currently has never had a bar on it)brakes etc. Would like to keep it as original as possible but with a bit of a kick if you know what i mean lol.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Would like to keep it as original as possible but with a bit of a kick if you know what i mean lol.

That's pretty vague, and engine swap doesn't fit in with your "keep it original" aesthetic. Would also advise that if you need it to do something reliably like tow a boat that you don't go down the engine swap or turbo route.

Got a budget?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
With a budget like that I'd look at other cars or a better base before making a decision on pouring money into that VX.