Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore Issue

ac2001au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais LS1
WinterVX,

I was referring to the central universal joint (next to the Centre bearing)which connects the two halves of the the tailshaft/propshaft together i.e. the shaft assembly connecting the transmission to the diff .... there may of been freeplay there if the unijoint was faulty (which in turn may cause the clunk).

Another pic to explain what I'm talking about (Sorry!):

Tailshaft.jpg

AC

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Yeah the Univeral Joint was in good order tho, i guess ill just have to live with
the noise.....

My car is a manual too, so that driveline looks different to what mine looks like.

C

chris77

Hi All,

I have been browsing the forums regularly over the last few months and decided to sign up. I’m hoping someone may be able to give me a straight answers instead of the normal sugar coating answers that the Holden dealers seem to be giving me.

I have a 2001 Commodore VX II S, 5-speed manual, and have minor but annoying problem.

Had the car since December last year, picked it up from a dealer with 81,000kms, and since then have taken the car back in January to have a "clunking" noise looked at but apparently everything turned out ok. Took the car back home and still the same thing. Took it back a month later and this time the clutch was replaced (under warranty) to try overcome this noise. Anyway, long story short the noise is still there but it’s not as bad as it was before they replaced the clutch plate.

This noise occurs in low speeds in reverse or in 1st gear when you engage the clutch pedal (say going up and down the driveway) and get a "clunk".
The sound seems to be worse when changing from 1st to 2nd gear in low speeds as not only do I get a clunk, it's then followed by a knock, almost sounds like something is loose. The clunk is also sometimes present when going over speed humps. Doesn't seem to happen in 3rd through to 5th at all, and is more noticeable in reverse gear.

Given another example where this noise really can become quite loud, give the car some gas, lay off the pedal and give it gas again etc etc...... the clunk is quite audible. May even be some sort of driveline noise? I don’t know…

2 Holden mechanics have both told me the noise is "normal" and cannot be fixed, tho coming up for its 6 month service in a couple of weeks i'll be bringing up the issue again.

Question is, that if it is "normal" and there is someone out there who has had the same problem and have had it fixed, what was done to sort it out?

If anyone can shed some light on this matter it would be great, as it’s driving me insane...

Thanks
i have a simular problem with my 6 speed "VX s2 SS". but , i hear a noise when im accelerating hard into the higher revs , and hear it in most gears.
driving slow i can noot hear the noise. has any one eles delt with the same problem. a mate of mine (who is a mechanic) has told me that the washers used in these newer gearboxs are plastic/reson. And worn me not to leave my hand on the gear knob after changeing gears, but i think it may be to late to prevent as i brought my car secondhand, and damage may be already done. have any one eles heard of this or fixed this problem ? ?

bsbozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 M5
This is very similar to what my issue is in My VT S M5, Holden replaced my clutch and tail shaft dampner a month or two ago and ever since whenever i turn my wheel to the right and reverse or go forward it makes a loud clunking noise, really pissing me off!!!!!! My 180000K service is due, might tell them to fix it at their cost!!!

VRSen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s
old post but sounds like the rubber in the tailshaft holder is worn. It could be a pinion bearing as said before when letting clutch out its taking up the slack which could also be a universal joint.
just my 2c

can you ellaborate as to whether this problem was over come??