Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX commodore stalling while driving

majhol

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore 3.8L
Just wanted to let everyone no the trouble we had with our vx commodore. started as the weather heated up a bit it started stalling whie driving alone after about 15-20 minutes of driving First it was very random monthly then it got more frequent had it to several auto electrians and mechanics few things changed on it coolant sensor,cam angle sensor, Cleaned the IAC, changed two ECU, oxygen sensors,engine fuel link,battery change plus labour and call out fees read your blogs daily everyone said change this change that $1000 dollars later my partner said I'm going to change the fuel filter and like a miracle its stopped stalling and we can run the aircon which we couldn't do before so if anyone has this problem don't spend thousands change the fuel filter first $15-$20 dollars cause it could be all you need to do. Been driving now for a good three weeks and I'm trusting my car again Just try this before anything else.

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
i sort of got the same problem on my vx, stalls once a month and hits flat spot in the engine, engine still runs but no power for 15-20secs but regains power eventually or stalls. might give the fuel filter thing ago. Must of sucked getting taken for a ride by the mechanics ...

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Don't know why you paid for repairs that didn't do anything to fix your issue, they should be diagnosing properly and only charging for time to find it and the part required,
I would've taken it back and had them find the real problem and refund the cost of the wrong parts, but you'll need to keep your original parts to have them put back in (if not it's still on their dime really) and get a proper receipt describing issue and work undertaken, if they don't do that then go elsewhere next time and check the policy.

Last_Warrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
98/99 VT Ecotec 3.8 V6 automatic Green
I agree that he spent a lot of money for repairs that didn´t fix it, but some of them, like oxygen sensor, should be replaced about 80-100k kilometers.

Well, my gues is fuel pump relay or connector.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I'm with majhol. a few years ago my EB falcon just stopped while my daughter was driving it. After some very expensive suggestions, I thought "no way" got into my spare parts box and found a new fuel filter, fitted it and car started first crank. last warrior is sort of on the right track, keep up regular maintenance and your problems will be few. With the exception of those who thrash their cars.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
My mate years ago did the same thing.....he had an old Mitsubishi Mirage and ran rough or wouldn't start... Bought new battery, a used carby, leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor button. He didn't think of the fuel filter because he couldn't find it. After fitting every part, he found out where the Fuel Filter is and it was under the battery. The battery in the Mitsubishi mirage's were located at the firewall (as the bonnet opened backwards), with the battery sitting on a shelf. Under that shelf was the fuel filter.

At the time he spent around $200 for parts....the fuel filter only cost him $7

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
I brought a new fuel filter and replaced a brand new fuel pump and i thought it was ok again and then engine check light comes on and it stalls and wont restart straight away, waited about 2 minutes and then she fired up. Anyone know what the #### it could be. I do have some oil in the radiator im not sure if thats got anything to do with and i do have to refill it with water once a day. Wheres the water going? and the stalling happens every week or 2. sometimes it restarts straight away sometimes it don't.

mitsuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Water pump or battery? When it shuts iff can you still stear? Maybe belt slipping?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
ironically was just coming in to recommend fuel filter and then read the OP, lololol - ask JC first dude.

Also holy thread dig for something that sounds unrelated, oil in radiator - head gasket yo.

ADTR-jolan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 S/c Vx commodore
Hey mate this happened to my mothers vt and we tried repacing fuel pumps/filters and the cam/crank sensors but it turned out to be a faulty coil pack wire, try rewriting the main wire that comes off the coil pack that might be it mate, it soon fixed the vt haha but now atleast all the other stuff is like new ;)