Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore Throttle Sticking

Madz15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive VL Executive
Hi everyone, my car has done this to me in the past few days and I've noticed it only does it on a cold start. When I start the car it's fine, but once I start driving down the road that's when it plays up. With my foot is off the accelerator, but it continues to pick up speed and when I put me foot on the clutch is hold at 2 grand and doesn't fall. Any ideas what it could be or how I could fix it? Thanks :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had a TB stick open before. It was scary as the car got up to 120 and I had to shut it down revving it's ring off in neutral. The issue was resolved by lubing the TB with some CRC, it took about three goes, at different intervals before it never did it again.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You need to remove the throttle body and clean it very thoroughly, particularly the edges of the butterfly. Carbon builds up in the throat and on the butterfly, preventing it from full closing. Use a soft material like a paddle pop stick or hard plastic on the edges so you don't damage them. Have a new TB gasket ready before you start the job.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
TPS Sensor, they usually wear in the just off idle part.

Madz15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive VL Executive
Thanks everyone for the advice

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
was it a genuine TPS Sensor? Some of the aftermarket ones don't line up properly, you can check it with a multimeter or scantool or laptop with a ALDL cable and see what voltage it's reading, it should be around 0.45v with no throttle.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Mine did that. Carbon build up and sticky butterfly as said up thread.

Can of cleaner. Direct into butterfly and TB and also take the top off the air box and clean from the inside.