Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS CAM thoughts.

diamondbish

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a cam for my vx ss. It's got 98,000kms 6speed just recently put a TrueTrac diff in and a Extreme heavy duty clutch in.
I've looked around and have come to a decision of a comp cam 232/234. Comp cam double valve springs and also have a OTR to be fitted before a mafless tune.
Just wondering what Cams and powers some people may be getting out of similar setups ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Well, I have a 226/226 cam 112 LSA in my 427 HSV GTS and I wouldn't want to go any more radical than that for a daily driver. Given that you have a smaller engine, you may find normal driving tiresome (due to lack of torque at low revs). Admittedly, I have a manual and if you have an auto with an appropriately sized stall converter, it might be OK.

conp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSV8
Hey there,

I'm currently studying the same subject. Tick Performance in the USA have some nice grinds and also offer to make custom grinds. They have a huge following over there and Martin does a lot of forum work. Perhaps take a look that way before you choose.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I have a 227/239 117lsa in a ls1 auto standard stall and have no problems with the down low.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I'm about to purchase a cam for my vx ss. It's got 98,000kms 6speed just recently put a TrueTrac diff in and a Extreme heavy duty clutch in.
I've looked around and have come to a decision of a comp cam 232/234. Comp cam double valve springs and also have a OTR to be fitted before a mafless tune.
Just wondering what Cams and powers some people may be getting out of similar setups ?

That cam is widely renowned for making good power in LS1 motors. 270rwkw for auto and sometimes upwards to 300rwkw in a manual with plenty of commo's running into the 11's (stalled Auto's)
You could possibly have a hard time in traffic with this cam but that can really come down to tuning and diff gears, another issue could be stalling when doing low speed turns (ie getting in and out of car parks) due to the cam not producing enough vacuum but this can be sorted with higher revs or a vacuum ressivour.

Also you won't be able to utilise the cams full potential due to the LS1's conrod bolts being much weaker than other LS motors, so revs should be capped at around 6300-6500 to minimise potential engine failure. Its an engine out job which is costly, although having to pull your engine out to install rod bolts at the same time as the cam is much, much cheaper than doing them separately - could also do timing chain and oil pump while its out too.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it at all, just letting you know of possible things that can come up after installing, plenty of people use this cam and it does have a wicked idle and goes hard.

Did you get better gears when you had the tru trac installed?
Are you installing yourself or using workshop?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Don't need a cam that big to make 300rwkw. Can go MUCH smaller and have usable power.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Don't need a cam that big to make 300rwkw. Can go MUCH smaller and have usable power.
Agree. Mines a VCM9 217/217 .600 .590 112.5 and its got PLENTY down low and mid where you need it for a daily plus no driveability problems with the auto at low speed, drives almost like factory. Gives me 265 rwkw so with a manual you can expect 280rwkw. Plus fuel usage is on par with stock vxss cam.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
215/223 here. Making 295 rwkw.

v8commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I have a vx ss with a 232/234 fast 102mm manifold and throttlebody heads standard mild port job 11.0 comp 3000 stall 420rwhp/750nm Drives like standard no problems down low at all still have standard 3.07 gears. Being manual but would be a .... in traffic but I would think. I do see lot of guys but going smaller in there cams for a manual but doing heads etc and getting around 300rwkw still. Its a old cam but a good one still for street/drags