Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Mate that must piss ya right off, any plans to go for some compensation from the previous trans builder?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
We had an issue the same. Trans built by well known Wanneroo Transmissions. 2 years later it’s flogged and the builder said it was hardly touched in there. The Wanneroo business is no longer there. Gone.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Guess what’s on my YouTube feed this morning. A full tear down of a 4L65e. These guys can do this with their eyes shut. They always have transmissions that were “built” and show how they weren’t every time.

The viewer can gain an appreciation of the complexity of these and why experienced builders are good to come across.

Where did you get yours done? There’s not many Transmission shops left in Perth.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
20" rims and sticky street legal rubber are not good bed fellows

Even tirerack hits expensive walls https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/perfCat.jsp?perf=STRT

Finding street legal tyres that grip up is going to be an issue in that size

You may need to look at lowering your wheel diameter down to as small as you can go, brake dependent

This will give alot more choice

As for Pirelli Dragon Sport, they won't cut the mustard, wet or dry, I had to get some new tyres a year or so ago travelling through QLD when I got a couple of flats, they didn't have any RS4's on hand so I got the Pirelli Dragons, they were garbage compared to the RS4's

And currently my 255/40 17 RS4's are struggling to put down power in my old beastie, and I assume you are putting down even more power.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Mate that must piss ya right off, any plans to go for some compensation from the previous trans builder?

Nah I cant be bothered...in my younger days I'd probably raged but he got me....I get it...Now I'll online review him and get on with it.

Where did you get yours done? There’s not many Transmission shops left in Perth.

I've gone through my mechanic so I dont know atm what his business is called. I will find out though. I believe he's a professional racing shop though.
The problem with this trans is that no one wanted to build it up because of the engine including the guy that eventually did it. My mechanic had to speak to him nicely a second time to take it on and the reason is warrantee. I've had this box built with no warrantee which to be honest I never expected from anyone. I'm happy that I have a fully itemized page of the work done including run in instructions and documentation that came with the parts.. The shop was up in MIdland though...some way from Rocko :p and I'm confident that I've got a good job done.

Its a pretty horrible vid...was quickly made this weekend...was a little busy but anyway....

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
20" rims and sticky street legal rubber are not good bed fellows

You may need to look at lowering your wheel diameter down to as small as you can go, brake dependent

This will give alot more choice

As for Pirelli Dragon Sport, they won't cut the mustard, wet or dry, I had to get some new tyres a year or so ago travelling through QLD when I got a couple of flats, they didn't have any RS4's on hand so I got the Pirelli Dragons, they were garbage compared to the RS4's

And currently my 255/40 17 RS4's are struggling to put down power in my old beastie, and I assume you are putting down even more power.

Yeah reducing rim size isn't really an option for me in the longer term. I want to get this car engineered at some stage and from what I'm aware I'll need 6 piston brakes to comply with the supercharger (amongst other things.) That would be 19 inch minimum for everything to fit.

I really need to speak to an engineer to apply a path as I'm only going on youtube which can be right and wrong lol
And I know from living in WA and doing a few bits and pieces in my younger days...granny state, full of pointless BS.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
On the somewhat brighter side atleast you know reason it blew up so easily because it was still a stocker trans & that an actual well built trans would have survived test run period as long as didn't abuse it too much lol.

Still think with well built trans hitting it in top gear will still burn 4l60e out again....smashing the pedal 60km/h-80km/k to feel it step out is addictive...just too much torque.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Chuckmeister I noticed there is that squeak in the front of the motor. Now after a rebuild it’s clearly not an internal noise, and I have one similar on mine but not sure where to look. (Cars not running ATM) What accessory is doing that on yours?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm suspecting piston slap from a cold engine start. It goes away after a minute or 2 when the pistons warm up.
It could be a belt or pulley but the way it disappears suggests above to me.
I'll keep an ear on it and if it gets worse or doesn't go away I'll have it looked at.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's nice. Cam doesn't have as much lump as I'd expect but you're running stock heads and compression yeah? That noise around 1:00 sounds like a pulley to me, often the noise drops once the bearing heats and expands. Easy enough to test, drop the belt and run it for a tick. My JE's slap 30-60 from cold, sounds very different to that