Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I've been looking at 3.08 or 3.45????

Thoughts......?????
I guess it depends if you want to be quick or fast. For me I'm stop sign to stop sign so 3.9's are good for me. As you'd know, even freeway work is not bad on 3.9's.

Changing to manual would be an easier and probably cheaper solution but as I'm older (and lazier) I'd still prefer auto
I have two things that I dont want with auto. One is I have to have overdrive. Counts out the t400. Sorta leaves me with the 4l80e and the other is that I dont want a full manualized trans. May as well go manual in that case.

@gtrboyy Yeah this will be 2 trans down and onto my 3rd. Problem is a few K is easier to get than the 12k wanted for a t400...not sure what a 4l80 is worth...but that will be my choice over time. Bit of a pain having to drive like a granny for the next 12 months knowing what I have hidden under the bay...but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A 6L90e not a possibility? Would surely be easier to find in Australia? We have some good conversion threads on the forum.

What about importing a Precision Auto built 4L80e from the US?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Canbus issues & other things means 6l80/90 will only work properly with later ve/f pcm...also not enough aftermarket interest to make it happen....even haltech only does 4l60e & 4l80e.

Ls pcm can be tuned to run 4l80e with extra vss & loom added in...looks reasonably straight forward on youtube clips yet most done in Aus were manualised shifting & switched overdrive when looked into it before beer flu farked everything

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Lex has one in his VX.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'll hold your beer & drink it.

Just see 6l80e conversion potentially more painful & expensive over th400 or 4l80e.

This is from a dude who likes full manual tricked up trimatics haha

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its not a vx. Its a vt.
1628060001482.gif

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll hold your beer & drink it.

Just see 6l80e conversion potentially more painful & expensive over th400 or 4l80e.

This is from a dude who likes full manual tricked up trimatics haha
:(
They bolt straight in.
There is an almost plug and play adaptor loom and module.
Some trick bits for displaying gears and a VF or VE shifter is a straight forward swap

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I think I'll stick with the 4l80e. At this stage I just want a trans that will hold together. Having a 6 speed auto would be nice but for me, its another 2 gears to worry about, more moving parts, more clutches etc. And someone asked me yesterday why I would want my car to have an extra 2 gear changes. I couldn't really answer him lol
The other is cost. For 5k I can get a 4l80e that will hold 1000hp. I'm guessing but I doubt a 6l90e could be done for that.