Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Needs a slightly taller rear if he's keeping it in 3rd, it was hitting limiter in 3rd at the big end

Apart from that it looks like it runs hard and straight

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think it had 3.7 on those runs then switched back to 3.45...ran tad slower for some weird reason then got sold before they worked out why.

Apparently owner liked how it felt on street way better with shorter gears...now got walky replica/355 vortech doing mid 10's.

The mild 304 setup in yt clip is basically what I want to do except in much lighter package.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
What converter do you have? Mine is from "The Converter Shop", in QLD, it shifts really firm, but nice

Who is building and tuning the transmission?

My trans guy said the pan on my 4l60e was fine because it was a "deep pan"

After the supercharger was installed it went back to Craigs for a day to road tune the transmission to get the line pressure right for the additional torque running thru it

AUTOTECH ENGINEERING took about 4 days to install and dyno tune my HTV2300, and that was with dropping the fuel tank a replacing the fuel pump, day 5 I picked it up and we went for a drive doing some final road tuning

The converter was made locally for when it was cammed only...the mechanic has told me that the current converter is not really suited to my engine application atm. They do the tuning too.
I've sort of made an executive decision (today) on this transmission. I've had feedback that the 4l80e can have similar problems as the 4l60e. They will build one but no warranty. Same as the 6L series. He will warranty and stand behind a turbo 400 though that can be beaten on (not that I do) so I think I'll baby the 60E for 6 months and go the turbo 400 route, higher stalled converter etc but I'm not willing to give up on overdrive so I'll get a gearvenders overdrive kit.
I think also that once the transmission is bulletproof...I'd like to change my injectors (that I ran out of) and chase that last 13hp for 600rwhp.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
When you've finally got that thing bulletproofed & eventually gain confidence back into the damn thing...you'll be 'super-shocked' that it made it back home without breaking after you've beaten on it like it owed ya rent money.

Probably why see similar setups end up at powercruise after all drama they give to owners lol

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
gawd it feels like I'm in this loop of breakage. I'm no doubting that many many people go through it, and I respect them all....I'm just its newest student lol.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
From previous experience in breaking stuff from high powered track cars, my VX SS build was based around usable street power and reliability

The weakest link was the 4l60e transmission, Craigs rated their bells and whistles build to 600hp, so my build was limited to around 500hpatw, which gave me a 20% safety fudge factor, which is still about 600hp at the fly, which is about as much as I would be happy with for a LS1 with a stock bottom end

To get that we used the 85mm pulley, the biggest one that would fit on the 2300

My advice, until you get your T400, is to go a bigger pulley, yes it will drop your power, but it will give your built 4l60e some reliability

As for usable street power, I wouldn't want anymore power than what I have currently, I have enough trouble with traction now, whilst laying 11's is novel, it doesn't equate to fast

The only way I can get it to hook is some drag radials, which removes the whole streetability of the car

Whilst drag radials are good in the dry, if it's raining, it's like ice skating, and as I drive this thing everywhere, well I did before the lockdowns, I need tyres that are safe to drive in any weather

Keep us updated on your T400 build, sounds good, albeit bloody expensive

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
The converter was made locally for when it was cammed only...the mechanic has told me that the current converter is not really suited to my engine application atm. They do the tuning too.
I've sort of made an executive decision (today) on this transmission. I've had feedback that the 4l80e can have similar problems as the 4l60e. They will build one but no warranty. Same as the 6L series. He will warranty and stand behind a turbo 400 though that can be beaten on (not that I do) so I think I'll baby the 60E for 6 months and go the turbo 400 route, higher stalled converter etc but I'm not willing to give up on overdrive so I'll get a gearvenders overdrive kit.
but I'm not willing to give up on overdrive so I'll get a gearvenders overdrive k

Even though I'm not going to push anywhere near that power/toque in the VS Maloo have dreamed of this = for gearing.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
I hate reporting this...got my car back on Tuesday and the car has been driving awesome.
I had a fancy looking Falcon que me up today...rather than ignoring it...put my foot into it.
When this thing hooks up is a rocket, unfortunately for the 4L , but the only happy report is that it made him look like he was standing still...
anyway...BOOM 4th gear again, even with a deep pan, carbon fibre clutches etc.

So the only recourse from here is to buy a little bunky like a corolla or something and retire her for 6 months as a garage queen.
Making enquiries today to Gearvendors regarding the overdrive and if they have distributers in Australia. Hopefully hear back from them this week.

Its an up and down journey from when I bought this car originally, but its gone alot further than originally thought.

So I think from here I'll get a built T400 with the gearvendors overdrive, change the injectors that ran out on the tune and I may as well chase those last 13hp and go for 600

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Methinks we drive more alike than you care to admit....although I'm back messing with them again 10 years later when I said I wouldn't.