Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Remember I posted ages ago sooner or later it will go bang...after first rebuild look at th400 then you can beat snot out of it at powercruises etc :)

Unless you drive like a granny all the time which defeats point of supercharging even a well built will go bang.

Heavy car with tonne of torque...add some traction game over 4l60e.

Think they'd be ok in a much lighter car but I'd still expect even a built 4l60e to eventually wear out or go bang...expecting mine to have a mischief on slicks at drag strip

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Honestly mate. I think everyone’s convinced me enough. I’m going to wait a little while before I boost my car. I’ll get the engine and gearbox sorted first just to be safe. At this stage I’m planning on adding some Higgins heads as the standard ls1 heads aren’t ideal and apparently a great upgrade.
I'm not trying to discourage you but IMO if you are over 500hp/high torque you'll likely need to know (as friendly advice) that these trans are not real good.
Gotta be honest, I had a quite reasonable ...I think it was 404 rwhp cammed ls1 before I stepped up and I had more fun in that (so far). It sounded awesome...wasn't the quickest but was no slouch either and I sort of miss it especially with not having to worry about breakage. Go your supercharger but factor in the trans as a major weak point.

Runs out and hugs T56 + sequential shifter ;)

I briefly considered this even not really wanting a manual until my mechanic told me clutches were a problem and at 3k each...puts me back at the beginning again.
edit -probably better than a 4L though

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
Very small update though I might do a half peddle sound update soon. (just for sound....cant afford another trans break atm :p )
Recently bought a decent pressure cleaner (4600psi) ...first time cleaning the car it sort of tore strips off the rear rubber windscreen seal...so had the window popped out and the seal replaced. They left the venetians out while the glue was setting so I'm going to colour code it from the beige they are to the correct matching white this week.
Air Con was regassed again (40 degree's yesterday) and also had its first 2000km service done since the build.
More importantly, spoke to the mechanic this week... he has a new pulley and bigger belts in shop for my car for a little more boost. Waiting on my turbo 400 to come in from the US and hopefully I can get both done at the same time....aiming for a safe tune of 650 rwhp

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
First line looks like a spelling error.....transbrake???? :)

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Very small update though I might do a half peddle sound update soon. (just for sound....cant afford another trans break atm :p )
Recently bought a decent pressure cleaner (4600psi) ...first time cleaning the car it sort of tore strips off the rear rubber windscreen seal...so had the window popped out and the seal replaced. They left the venetians out while the glue was setting so I'm going to colour code it from the beige they are to the correct matching white this week.
Air Con was regassed again (40 degree's yesterday) and also had its first 2000km service done since the build.
More importantly, spoke to the mechanic this week... he has a new pulley and bigger belts in shop for my car for a little more boost. Waiting on my turbo 400 to come in from the US and hopefully I can get both done at the same time....aiming for a safe tune of 650 rwhp
Does it have pressure adjustment?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A Hughs?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still no T400...lost in the post maybe :p Its a bit out of my budget atm anyway but I did buy myself a sunroof over the weekend out of a vy. Seems in good nic, no rust on the frames. Glass is in good condition, no scratches but there is a small milky spot between the laminate. I'm hoping that this glass can be delaminated and retinted with a darker tint.

FEBdH9HdJtAg0xFBD_t9MV2iVOt6QvZ6VXQ62dZEtTMgMeVGlMElAV_ztLoBtncFo2qn-ihIDEB-Mo8qdiwNH8pIGx0ag3DhCB3jGUMyEvYzExzy0zRO8DkGp3oVt8_kuclj_uV6OQ=w2400

Probably gonna sit in the shed for the next few months while I decide if its really what I want to do

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
No real update, rather just an update for historical (hindsight/diary) reasons. Another trans down. Have her booked in on thursday for another rebuilt trans.. Same problem. 3rd and 4th gear clutches.
Pulled out of Bunnings, picking a gap...3rd gear wheel spin, traction control applied...I didn't lift and when the power came back on...clutches gone. I actually felt it happen this time.
My t400 is in (landed) but cant afford the conversion atm so being my daily I have no choice but to put in another 4l60e.
It is what is is :rolleyes: