Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VX SS to Clubsport C5 brake upgrade.

brett0004

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VX SS, Torana SS Hatch.
Just thought I would do a bit of a write up on changing out my VX SS brakes to Clubsport C5 types as while searching the net for information it was there but all over the place.
I originally looked at a set of SSZ type but the only benefit you end up with is 320mm front rotors and rears stay the same only vented. I picked up a set of VY clubsport C5 calipers and rotors that were basically as new. The rotors are 330mm x 32mm and rears 315mm x 18mm slotted and vented. (Take a set of verniers and check thickness as less than 28mm front and 16mm rear throw them in the bin).
Whilst the front calipers are similar in size to the original SS calipers, the pads are similar shape but have nearly double the amount of pad material on the pad. So that is where the gain is, bigger rotor and double contact area. The original SS calipers have 2 x 40mm pistons and the HSV one's have 2 x 38mm pistons. Make sure you get the L shaped adapter bracket that bolts to the knuckle. The rears are the same caliper as the SS with the same part number cast on the top only painted red but use a different carrier to allow for the bigger rotor. You could just reuse your old caliper and just change the carrier. Rears bolt up quickly and easily. Fronts you need to drill out the 3 rivets on the stone guards, cut with tinsnips and remove them. You can reuse all original brake hoses but fronts need to be twisted around the reverse direction to mount on the calipers and it twists the hose, I would recommend using the clubsport one's or better still get a full set of stainless Safebrake one's off eBay for around $300.
All up a good upgrade at a reasonable price. Yes we would all love the 4 or 6 spot calipers but at over $2500 for a second hand set it's a bit out of my reach. I was lucky to get the C5 set that had only done 40000ks for $300 of market place so it was a good cheap upgrade.
Hope this helps someone. Cheers.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
It is a good upgrade especially for the price you paid. I originally had these on my VZ Clubsport before upgrading to AP’s, and with the safebrake lines, fresh fluid and pads, they were great around Philip Island. I had an instructor take me out in my car for a couple of laps, and he even commented how good the brakes were.
A very worthwhile upgrade to an SS.

brett0004

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is a good upgrade especially for the price you paid. I originally had these on my VZ Clubsport before upgrading to AP’s, and with the safebrake lines, fresh fluid and pads, they were great around Philip Island. I had an instructor take me out in my car for a couple of laps, and he even commented how good the brakes were.
A very worthwhile upgrade to an SS.
DGP just out of interest what pads did you use. I have just ordered some Ferado DS2500 pads.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I have the HSV 330/315 upgrade on my Monaro. Very impressed with how it stops. I'm using the stock HSV pads in the rear and QFM HPX pads in the front. No dust and silent operation. I had DS2500 in my AP racing brakes on a previous car. Worked fine but very dirty. Like 1 week and your wheels will be black dirty.

brett0004

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have the HSV 330/315 upgrade on my Monaro. Very impressed with how it stops. I'm using the stock HSV pads in the rear and QFM HPX pads in the front. No dust and silent operation. I had DS2500 in my AP racing brakes on a previous car. Worked fine but very dirty. Like 1 week and your wheels will be black dirty.

Yes, I might do the old pad change for the street and track. I bought this car as a cheap way to get into a few track days at Barbegello. Its just a 10min job to change pads.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
DGP just out of interest what pads did you use. I have just ordered some Ferado DS2500 pads.

I used Remsa pads on the track, and DS2500 for the street. In my opinion, dust is good for hard use, you are wearing out the pad, not the rotor. I never found either pad particularly dusty though, but I always keep my cars very clean so no chance for any dust to build up.

Mward23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ssz ute
Hey fellas old tread but I just purchased a set of corvette c5 pbr brakes not hsv c5 brakes
Unsure if I’ll need adaptors for these to fit on my vz ss?

Attachments

• 5505874E-F9B6-4B6A-8A09-E8E42EDE16AA.jpeg
    5505874E-F9B6-4B6A-8A09-E8E42EDE16AA.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 107