Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX V6 Air Con Issue - Annoying whine & no cold air

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
I have a VX V6 executive and recently had the air con regassed in November as I thought that was the issue initially (not blowing air and it was hot)

Quickly found out the fan resister had **** itself so I replaced that and it was working a treat, blowing cold air no issues.

About 2-3 weeks later, when I turned the air con on one day there was an annoying whine coming from the vents, and there was no cold air coming out. This whine is only present when the air con is turned on, and stops once turned off.

I've done a bit of searching and read it could be the compressor? Is this a DIY replacement? or could it be the bearings or pulley?

Just want to get this sorted, sick of driving down the freeway to work in a sweatbox.

Thanks guys

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Girlfriends e46 did this. Regassed and died the gas, 2 weeks later started making the noise out of the vents and stopped working again.

Was looking on the weekend and there's a slow leak on the condenser. I think the noise is the compressor struggling as the gas starts to get low.

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Re: VX V6 Air Con Issue - Annnoying Whine & No Cold Air
I just checked it on hot as I hadn't bothered, it works fine on hot you can NOTICEABLY tell that it's heating. However when I switch back to cold it goes back to a warm type air, definitely no chill in it at all as expected with air con.

I should have mentioned when I replaced the resistor I also replaced the AC fan under the dash.

What's the likely cause with these symptoms?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Is the ac system still pressurized?

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
How do you mean? I'm sure it is. It blows air still..

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah if it's not. Get it gassed and dyed then find the leak. The one in my missus's car makes that noise as the gas gets low. Then ac stops working all together and the noise goes away. It did this, we gassed and dyed it then 2 weeks later it did it again (very small leak)

Hers leaks from the condenser. Yours could leak from the compressor, condenser, evaporator (hopefully not), the drier or any of the lines.

Will let you know if the sound returns in hers once she forks out for a condenser. Luckily a friend of mine can get the ac gassed for a box of Heineken.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Oohh yeah.....Here is the proof :)

Attachments

• 09012012122.jpg
    09012012122.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 597