Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX - V6 Head Bolts specs

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yes you'd skip them, if it was 90 Nm before it'll still be 90 Nm if you try again.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Are you using new head bolts or re-using the old ones?

They are tty (Torque To Yield) and not designed to be re-used, if you try to torque used bolts to spec they may break.

Stage 1: Torque in order to 34 Nm (That's what is in the gregory's manual)

Stage 2: Set Torque wrench to 90 Nm then proceed to turn 90° (If it clicks then stop and goto the next bolt in order)

Stage 3: Go in order again until all are at 90 Nm90 Nm is in the gregory's manual for the V6

Get a book and follow the destructions first. Then come and ask when you get stuck. At least you'll have a starting point.

General note to new players: I know those old papery things are the last thing you think of, but I keep saying it. GET A BLOODY BOOK
90 Nm is in the gregory's manual for the V6. Yeah and I know the Gregorys is a 'book of lies' compared to the 'olden days hard cover jobs' but some book gives you a reference.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Hard copy?
Contrary to popular belief, once something is on the net it is not there forever.
Hdd's die and websites eventually disappear along with the info.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Hard copy?
Contrary to popular belief, once something is on the net it is not there forever.
Hdd's die and websites eventually disappear along with the info.
"Hard Copy" ? Are you referring to my post ? By 'olden days hard cover jobs' I was referring to the old Gregorys books with the hard cover.
Those ones lasted longer and were better presented than the current range; but a book will still give OP the numbers he wants and more on hand without having to ask the internet the same thing 5 times.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Nah, just a response (with a hint of sarcasm).

hard copy

noun: hard copy
plural noun: hard copies

As for things disappearing from the electronic world, i recently dragged out an old siliconechip card reader/writer and it's proving impossible to find the software for it.
I also have other info printed out from pre 2K which i can't find anywhere on the net anymore (some pages are almost unreadable).

mysst

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vx v6
"Hard Copy" ? Are you referring to my post ? By 'olden days hard cover jobs' I was referring to the old Gregorys books with the hard cover.
Those ones lasted longer and were better presented than the current range; but a book will still give OP the numbers he wants and more on hand without having to ask the internet the same thing 5 times.

dude come down, why are you overreacting, this forum purpose is for explaining and discussion, it's not for telling us just "Buy the book" ??!!!! I already have the book in a soft copy, but there are some points I couldn't understand and I needed someone to explain them for me, so either you become helpful or just write "BUY THE BLOODY BOOK" under your name to save yourself some time that can be useful in other place rather than here???!!!

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
dude come down, why are you overreacting, this forum purpose is for explaining and discussion, it's not for telling us just "Buy the book" ??!!!! I already have the book in a soft copy, but there are some points I couldn't understand and I needed someone to explain them for me, so either you become helpful or just write "BUY THE BLOODY BOOK" under your name to save yourself some time that can be useful in other place rather than here???!!!

Well that's good that you have a book. Someone quoted a book in answer which is why I didn't know you had one. Also good you have somewhere to ask when unsure about something. Sounds like you're up to your armpits in it so I hope it goes well for you.

3.8vy dazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 vy
Are you using new head bolts or re-using the old ones?

They are tty (Torque To Yield) and not designed to be re-used, if you try to torque used bolts to spec they may break.

Stage 1: Torque in order to 34 Nm (That's what is in the gregory's manual)

Stage 2: Set Torque wrench to 90 Nm then proceed to turn 90° (If it clicks then stop and goto the next bolt in order)

Stage 3: Go in order again until all are at 90 Nm

90 Nm is in the gregory's manual for the V6
In what order

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
old thread but seeing as it's up again...hard to understand? OP told us what his source said, dunno if from the web or a Gregory's, but...follow the instructions. Not rocket science...read what it says twice, then again, then do it as instructed; as far as hard copy goes...have had plenty of experience there; and I would trust a Holden issued manual to the information in a Gregory, and the last genuine GMH manual I had was for an HK series - and it was soft covered, but IMHO far better reference material than a Gregory's - BECAUSE GREGORY'S WERE RESTRICTED WITH COPYRIGHT LAWS...

Last edited: