Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Wheel nut TIGHT AS FUG

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
C4 and remote detonator.

Seriously, I would've expected the stud to snap by now. It may be binding on the wheel itself.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
When you do get it off, make sure the threads are clean and not damaged, put a smear of grease on all stud threads and use a torque wrench to set the nuts at the correct tension. About 75 Ft Lbs from memory on the VT.

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
hey people. ok update (many many days later) first off thanks for everyones help. i tried everything yall suggested ( bar the c4 as i didnt want to scratch the paint on the car :)) and c4 isnt widely available for those not into terrorism over here). nothing worked. had a guy come out and he hammerd some sharp tool thingy resembling a smaller socket... and a metre long persuasion bar. got it off quick smart. no damage to anything cept the nut. wasnt cross threaded or anything. AND BEST OF ALL (or not if you dont like to feel youve ripped someone off) he did it for free. wouldnt take a cent for it, i even tried pushing money in his hand. very nice bloke. so we will just buy all our tyres from him now and recomend him to everyone.

Thanx peps

AUSTRALIND TYRE PLACE
AUSTRALIND
SOUTH WEST W.A
BEST SERVICE IN THE SOUTH WEST!!!

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
( bar the c4 as i didnt want to scratch the paint on the car :)) and c4 isnt widely available for those not into terrorism over here)

If you are interested, i am hooked up man. Ha ha ha ha ha

Good news about the nut. wheelnut. :whistling

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
hey people. ok update (many many days later) first off thanks for everyones help. i tried everything yall suggested ( bar the c4 as i didnt want to scratch the paint on the car :)) and c4 isnt widely available for those not into terrorism over here). nothing worked. had a guy come out and he hammerd some sharp tool thingy resembling a smaller socket... and a metre long persuasion bar. got it off quick smart. no damage to anything cept the nut. wasnt cross threaded or anything. AND BEST OF ALL (or not if you dont like to feel youve ripped someone off) he did it for free. wouldnt take a cent for it, i even tried pushing money in his hand. very nice bloke. so we will just buy all our tyres from him now and recomend him to everyone.

Thanx peps

AUSTRALIND TYRE PLACE
AUSTRALIND
SOUTH WEST W.A
BEST SERVICE IN THE SOUTH WEST!!!

It's good to see there are honest business's out there.

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
When you do get it off, make sure the threads are clean and not damaged, put a smear of grease on all stud threads and use a torque wrench to set the nuts at the correct tension. About 75 Ft Lbs from memory on the VT.
Not so sure about the grease. We once greased the nuts on an old Fergy tractor and the back wheel fell off about one year later.

Fourzer0

Reaction score
I was about to say..

Were you turning it to the left or right? MWAHA

Glad to hear it's off.. hopefully it won't happen to anyone else.

I always ask people who put new tires/wheels on to hand tighten them.

- Fourzer0

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
SLAF, how yer goin'? I have been puttin' grease on me nuts, wheel nuts yer know, for over 30 years, done 100 of thousands of miles from tearin' up the bitumen to trips up to Alice on the old dirt road, up to Birdsville and to Innaminka on the corrugated Strezleki track. NEVER had any nuts come loose. The thread gives the tension, the taper in wheel rim does the locking.
The more pre-load that is given to a thread, the closer it is to breaking point.

...but maybe I have been lucky??

Good one ..MikeVXSS

Cheers, Pablo

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
I was about to say..

Were you turning it to the left or right? MWAHA

Glad to hear it's off.. hopefully it won't happen to anyone else.

I always ask people who put new tires/wheels on to hand tighten them.

- Fourzer0

yer i did an a half of a university sitting on panelbeating back in the day and he told us to do wheel nuts by hand saying that its fine ive never had a prob. wheel nuts at a panel beating seminar you ask??? so did we hahahah

thanx everyone much apreciated. rep points all round

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
apparently ive over spent my rep point budget :)) hahahah ill get back to youse i missed.

Thanx again everyone, first time ive made a thread and everyone had helpfull stuff to say. good to see JC getting back to the old nice days

Thanx peeps