Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX wont start after replacing engine

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
So got a vx v6 wagon, the motor run a bigend 2nd day i had it.
brought a second hand VS ecotec to swap in. Changed intake manifolds over and bolted back into car.
We broke the top Selector switch pad plug when trying to get it out but the pins were exposed so we plugged the plug back onto the pins (basically the same except it no longer has an outer casing).
all loom is original vx stuff.
Key on i get reds, pump stays running/priming (doesnt stop while key on), iac is moving out or in, starter wont turn over.
Bridging pins 5 & 6 it doesnt register and wont flash up the CE light ( just stays on like normal on reds)
Dash in diag mode it registers the CTS at -40 which im sure means dead?

Any clues or starters on where to look?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Are you sure you have the pins right? If the key was turned on and the pins shorted, it may have blown a fuse.

Did you plug the signal wire back onto the starter motor?

D

devilly

so its a vx v6 wagon and your putting a vs ecotec engine in it?

so the bcm,keyfob and ecu are from the vx, trying to run a vs motor.might need to change over the computers.

sounds like immobilizer issues to me.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover

so the bcm,keyfob and ecu are from the vx, trying to run a vs motor.might need to change over the computers.

That won't be it as the original ECU and BCM are still in the car. There are only a couple of sensors in the intake manifold that are different between VS and VX, hence why he changed the manifold over.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Is the broken plug in the correct orrientation? What happens if u flip it around 180?

Checked all the simple things like starter fuse? Might pay to double check the wiring to the starter itself? Have u checked the battery voltage. It might have enought to run the dash but not to turn the starter

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
The pins on the inhibitor switch pad? Nah there only one way that can go back on. Yep both signal and main power wire back on starter. I have a spare inhibitor switch in storage that I may try tomorrow to eliminate that. But it's just strange that the fuel pump keeps running and CTS registers its lowest value normally shown when open circuit.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE

Correct. But that shouldn't be a issue as everything in the vx is original. The ecu doesn't know if the motors been physically changed as its only a mechanical change.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Is the broken plug in the correct orrientation? What happens if u flip it around 180?

Checked all the simple things like starter fuse? Might pay to double check the wiring to the starter itself? Have u checked the battery voltage. It might have enought to run the dash but not to turn the starter

Plug can only go one way as its 4 pins one side 3 pins others so it can't be run 180. Batts fine @12.5, wirings fine and fuse and relay good.
I'm thinking maybe the inhibitor has been broken inside even thought the pins look ok.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Found to be the negative battery post earth was bolted to subframe not block and wasn't earthing properly. Thanks for those who helped.