Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy 2003 series 2 v6 sedan fuel tank size

UnstableRage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 3.8 I Series 2
Tech2 units [aka: Scan Tools] what the Mechanics use to interrogate the cars systems,
Scanning for DTC Codes, Resetting DTC Codes, Programming, etc, etc.
do u know of any specific brands that u could recommend? in the long run would it be better to have my own rather pay mechanics hundreds?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
FYI: I had an issue with my VY a few years ago,
when I filled it up, I mean Right up, the Dash would beep at you, until you had done approx. 20 > 30 k's
Then it would settle down after that.
So what I did this time, was fill it up, and put my Scan Unit on it, and re-calibrated the Fuel Gauge, to read/recognise the tank was Full.
It has never faulted since, and the onboard computer is very accurate now.

Last edited:

UnstableRage

Reaction score
Members Ride
W
FYI: I had an issue with my VY a few years ago,
when I filled it up, I mean Right up, the Dash would beep at you, until you had done possible 20 > 30 k's
Then it would settle down after that.
So what I did this time, was fill it up, and put my Scan Unit on it, and re-calibrated the Fuel Gauge, to read/recognise the tank was Full.
It has never faulted since, and the onboard computer is very accurate now.
What scan unit do you use? Do you know where I could buy one that’s not over $500? I seen this one but would like any advice on which one to buy and who from.

Attachments

• D52AA800-DDB5-4ABE-B339-4426481EDF88.jpeg
    D52AA800-DDB5-4ABE-B339-4426481EDF88.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 88

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
For What it is worth,
The VX's & VXII's had a issue with tank units, where they would read 60 > 70 k's till empty, and you would run out if petrol,

I had a 2002 Berlina Wagon VXII and mentioned numerous times with the Dealer I was using at the time 'Booran Holden in Cheltenham' and they said they re-calibrated it,
Not sure what they re-calibrated, because I ran out of petrol twice after that,
So I took it back and with the service dockets and showed them what they said they did,
After a lengthy discussion, they offered to remove the tank and have a look at the Tank unit,
They rang and said it was faulty, and said I need a new unit,
I ended up having an argument with them over the same, and said,
"If you had of told me that in the first place, I would have just replaced it, but you charged me 4 times for re-calibration, and I still have the same issue, and have have probably paid for a new unit now, so I asked them to fix it correctly.
They said they would contact Holden and see what they can do,
They came back and said Holden will pay for the part under warranty, but I have to pay for the Labour,
My answer was, no way, after paying for 4 x calibrations and still the same fault,
I refused to buckle under pressure, I said the car can stay there till till the cows come home, until it is sorted out properly,
Holden Agreed to Pay for the Unit and the Labour, and that fixed t he on going fault,
However, I then traded the Car in 6 months later.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
W

What scan unit do you use? Do you know where I could buy one that’s not over $500? I seen this one but would like any advice on which one to buy and who from.

You need to fork out a fare amount of $'s to get one that can do what you need to do, and more,
Tech2 's can range between approx. $600 [Clone] > $3,000 depends on if it's a clone or a original one,
were the prices maybe a bit lower now as there other units on the market
I have a Autel 908P Maxisys Pro, and that wasn't cheap at the time, but saved me a heaps from Dealers prices for what I was doing at the time.

In a nut shell, You would probably be best to pay to have it calibrated, and keep the $'s in your pocket.

UnstableRage

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to fork out a fare amount of $'s to get one that can do what you need to do, and more,
Tech2 's can range between approx. $600 [Clone] > $3,000 depends on if it's a clone or a original one,
I have a Autel 908P Maxisys Pro, and that wasn't cheap at the time, but saved me a heaps from Dealers prices for what I was doing at the time.

In a nut shell, You would probably be best to pay to have it calibrated, and keep the $'s in your pocket.
Alright cheers much appreciated you have been a great help mate.

UnstableRage

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright cheers much appreciated you have been a great help mate.

Do u have a web link for that exact model Autel I think I might buy one I just don’t trust mechanics and ide rather do it myself cash ain’t an issue if it’s what I need

UnstableRage

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don’t think this is the one you have because I see no adapter or support for holden

Attachments

• 061A8ADE-715C-42B4-AE44-3E09FF3ED42F.png
    061A8ADE-715C-42B4-AE44-3E09FF3ED42F.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 58EF2282-3C44-4405-BB73-6FEAE14B1090.png
    58EF2282-3C44-4405-BB73-6FEAE14B1090.png
    383.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2A079355-AF70-41A9-97C8-DB54D774BBCE.png
    2A079355-AF70-41A9-97C8-DB54D774BBCE.png
    354.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 9D5B61A0-F1DC-4AEA-8E56-B0419E63DAC6.jpeg
    9D5B61A0-F1DC-4AEA-8E56-B0419E63DAC6.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 89

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
FWIW, when I fitted the 3-window dash to my VX, i read somewhere that you can calibrate the tank full figure without a tech 2. It would have been on a forum but I remember the instructions were quoted from an official Holden document. That was a loooong time ago!
And, I had a mobile air cond guy check the A/C in my VX in 2019. He had a tech 2 to run some diags, and said while he was at it, did I want anything else changed? Eg, coutesy light delay, 2 stage door locking etc. (No charge of course)
So you might find a mechanic with a tech 2 that might do it for a slab etc.

UnstableRage

Reaction score
Members Ride
FWIW, when I fitted the 3-window dash to my VX, i read somewhere that you can calibrate the tank full figure without a tech 2. It would have been on a forum but I remember the instructions were quoted from an official Holden document. That was a loooong time ago!
And, I had a mobile air cond guy check the A/C in my VX in 2019. He had a tech 2 to run some diags, and said while he was at it, did I want anything else changed? Eg, coutesy light delay, 2 stage door locking etc. (No charge of course)
So you might find a mechanic with a tech 2 that might do it for a slab etc.
Okay mate Cheers.