Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY antenna wiring

Travsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
Hello All,

I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on the wires for the antenna in a VY. I got my VY a month ago and 2nite im gunna chuck in a new head deck, amp and speakers (well im gunna attempt to). I have searched on this forum a fair bit to see if the question had been answered but couldn't find anything so im sorry if i missed it.

Im just wondering how the antenna actually works. The forum states that there is a white and blue wire for up and down on the antenna. However from my new headdeck i only have a blue acc wire. Should i connect this to the white or blue wire??

I am under the impression that the antenna should simply need one wire which u apply 12v too to make the antenna extend and when the 12v is not present, the antenna will lower back down. Is this correct? So therefore im confused why two wires are needed for up and down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I shall post pics on the install when she is all done!

Thanks
Trav

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Usually there is one wire for a normal electric antenna and 3 wires for an adjustable electric antenna.
The adjustable one has a ON wire, and UP and DOWN wires to set different heights.

This is how I did it for my VT because the adjustment control is on the front of the stock head unit...
If you are happy for it to always go to full height, then set it to full height before you take the old head unit out, then just hook up the ON wire to the wire from your new head unit.
I can't help you with which wire is the ON wire though. I know that VT/VX is as follows:
ON - Yellow w/ red trace
UP - Light blue
DOWN - White

Travsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
ok well ive pulled my head unit out and replaced it with the new head unit but i still cant get the antenna to extend...? I have connected the antenna wire from the new head unit to both the antenna up and antenna down coloured wires but nothing seems to work...?

Can anyone who has installed a new head deck and used the standard antenna in a VY give us some advice? I feel like an amateur asking these questions cause i thought it would be straight forward but im having some trouble so any help would be much appreciated...

Travsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
Thanks for that... Im pretty sure the vy's have a different pinout then the vx's but hopefully the colours are the same. I will have a look 2nite...!

Jamie77

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SVZ 2007
Somebody snapped my aerial on my VY so I've bought an Aeropro internal mount antenna (AP259) so I don't have that problem again (senseless vandalism). Can anyone please tell me where I connect the black 12v DC wire? I've looked everywhere for an answer but no luck so far.