Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy auto gearbox issue

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
Ok so my fiancée owns a vy v6 series 2 auto ute. Trying to drive it the other day and put it in drive and it would just rev, so turned the car off and back on and it would go into drive and we could drive but if we got above 60 it would lose it's gear completely again, and the car would just rev like it was in neutral. Also the other issue is that her computer thing on her dashboard randomly restates when driving, not sure if that is linked since I heared that the gearbox is electronically controlled. I tired putting the car in 1st or 2nd to see if it would work but nothing oh and also tried reverse. The car is. Over 2 hours away so I can't try anything else but yeah wondering what it could be. Sorry for no paragraphs this is off my iPhone cause my computer died aswell so bad week lol. Thanks in advance for any help

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
above 60 light accelerator is top, using most oil of all gears to maintain it.....

check the basics first oil level?(duh)
engine lights on when idling in nuetral? (code check in case ecu failure (pcm failure means engine and trans here)))

if it doesnt select a gear in manual mode and revs too high at 60 could also be the selector arm broken at pivot underneath or come loose......

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
at a guess i would either say its either low on oil or the governor gear ...

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
Thanks for the help I won't get to look until tommoz, let's hoping it's just low oil