Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy battery draining issue.

03batterydrainer

Reaction score
Members Ride
O3 vy Berlina
My 03 Vy Berlina never had any issues with before hand. has been draining the battery every day for the last 2 weeks. I did the usual. Changed the battery 3 different battery's, same thing. changed the alternator. Stuff like that.
I've spent that time researching on here and chased up a few things. Earth wires, fuses. Stuff like that it all seems good.
My back door recently decided it won't lock/unlock by the key. Not sure if that could be the issue.

Sitting there idling after a while it starts to surge sort of thing, revs drop to 500rpm and back up 1000rpm, with the lights etc on and idling my volt gauge goes between 14.2v an 14..3v if I rev it up a bit. It will pick up to around 14.5v. it's seems normal.

I had the dreaded fault codes come up on the dash ABS SRS etc found the BCM fuse had bad contact. as some people had experienced that. Changed that and haven't had any faults so far. But my battery is still draining, I've pulled interior light fuse. My stereo shuts down properly. Everything seems perfectly fine besides my battery draining now still. I don't have access to a scan tool of any sort. I know it could possibly be the BCM failing but I'd like to try and see if it's anything else first before I spend a ridiculous amount on BCM etc
Just chasing a few pointers on what to look at that I haven't already.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
any new work done recently eg new stereo, fitted led lights
reinvestigate that back door
and leave the door card off until you get to the bottom of this
and a little diagnostics is quicker and cheaper than the parts cannon

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
My 03 Vy Berlina never had any issues with before hand. has been draining the battery every day for the last 2 weeks. I did the usual. Changed the battery 3 different battery's, same thing. changed the alternator. Stuff like that.
I've spent that time researching on here and chased up a few things. Earth wires, fuses. Stuff like that it all seems good.
My back door recently decided it won't lock/unlock by the key. Not sure if that could be the issue.

Sitting there idling after a while it starts to surge sort of thing, revs drop to 500rpm and back up 1000rpm, with the lights etc on and idling my volt gauge goes between 14.2v an 14..3v if I rev it up a bit. It will pick up to around 14.5v. it's seems normal.

I had the dreaded fault codes come up on the dash ABS SRS etc found the BCM fuse had bad contact. as some people had experienced that. Changed that and haven't had any faults so far. But my battery is still draining, I've pulled interior light fuse. My stereo shuts down properly. Everything seems perfectly fine besides my battery draining now still. I don't have access to a scan tool of any sort. I know it could possibly be the BCM failing but I'd like to try and see if it's anything else first before I spend a ridiculous amount on BCM etc
Just chasing a few pointers on what to look at that I haven't already.
After changing the alternater, did the volts go up when reving the engine? If so, sounds like regulator on the alternater is cactus?

Whats your thoughts on this @lout?

03batterydrainer

Reaction score
Members Ride
O3 vy Berlina
I've disconnected all aftermarket accessories, light bar, amp wiring, gauges and thermo fans. Didn't make a difference.
I fixed the back door, the rod had come off and jammed and had the actuator stuck. All works as it should now.
Although last night while working on the car and waiting to see if the battery drained after fixing the door issue, I noticed the illumination lights on the window switch stay on and stayed on for over an hour. I locked the car it turned off. Unlocked it and same thing happened. I checked the fuses under the dash and the power window relay was extremely hot.
I pulled the window switch apart and gave it a clean. Plugged it back in and it seems to time out now. Could this of been my issue?

03batterydrainer

Reaction score
Members Ride
O3 vy Berlina
I've disconnected all aftermarket accessories, light bar, amp wiring, gauges and thermo fans. Didn't make a difference.
I fixed the back door, the rod had come off and jammed and had the actuator stuck. All works as it should now.
Although last night while working on the car and waiting to see if the battery drained after fixing the door issue, I noticed the illumination lights on the window switch stay on and stayed on for over an hour. I locked the car it turned off. Unlocked it and same thing happened. I checked the fuses under the dash and the power window relay was extremely hot.
I pulled the window switch apart and gave it a clean. Plugged it back in and it seems to time out now. Could this of been my issue
After changing the alternater, did the volts go up when reving the engine? If so, sounds like regulator on the alternater is cactus?

Whats your thoughts on this @lout?
I did noticed today that it would go up .1 of a volt, I changed back to the original alternator and it didn't go up when I revved it but it goes in between 14.3 volts and 14.4 volts. But doesn't go any higher then 14.4v

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I pulled the window switch apart and gave it a clean. Plugged it back in and it seems to time out now. Could this of been my issue

I did noticed today that it would go up .1 of a volt, I changed back to the original alternator and it didn't go up when I revved it but it goes in between 14.3 volts and 14.4 volts. But doesn't go any higher then 14.4v
Reading what you've done may have fixed it?
Did it start ok today? Battery tested ok?

03batterydrainer

Reaction score
Members Ride
O3 vy Berlina
Reading what you've done may have fixed it?
Did it start ok today? Battery tested ok?
So far so good. I've been doing a bit of maintenance since early hours of this morning and checking the voltage every hour or so and it seems to be holding charge. I'll see how I go after sitting all day and night I guess.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had the same problem....Turned out my factory stereo was causing my problem

Here's the youtube video I used to find my problem..

03batterydrainer

Reaction score
Members Ride
O3 vy Berlina
Had the same problem....Turned out my factory stereo was causing my problem

Here's the youtube video I used to find my problem..

If my issue was the stereo wouldn't it of stopped draining the battery when I disconnected the power wire?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If my issue was the stereo wouldn't it of stopped draining the battery when I disconnected the power wire?

I think there is 2 power wires....A main and an accessory.

Follow the youtube video I posted and it explains how to determine what is causing the drain....

That's what I used to find my problem