Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Berlina Grille Mod

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
That looks good. Do you happen to have a full frontal pic like the first one, but with the mesh in there?

Also what did you have to do exactly? hmm i'm considering it, I don't like the horizontal bars in the stock grill.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
yeah, just had to cut the bars out,smooth out where they were attached,cut back a lot of the moulding behind the holden emblem & do some reshaping above & below the lion.heres a front on,you cant see the mesh that much though so it tends to make it look like the lion is floating.still got a little more smoothing off to do where the bars were attached but will have to wait till next week on my days off
cheers
warrick

Attachments

• grille finished3.jpg
    grille finished3.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 703

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
yeah, just had to cut the bars out,smooth out where they were attached,cut back a lot of the moulding behind the holden emblem & do some reshaping above & below the lion.heres a front on,you cant see the mesh that much though so it tends to make it look like the lion is floating.still got a little more smoothing off to do where the bars were attached but will have to wait till next week on my days off
cheers
warrick

Cool, thats looks good. Thanks for the info and putting the pics up. I might have to have a look at doing it when I get a chance.
Cheers.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
thanks for all the positive comments guys!just need to finish the end bits a little, once i buy a new dremel.old one gave up the ghost while i was removing the guts of a maf i'm using for my mafless tune eventually.
cheers
warrick

krossbones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina V6
GDAY MATE

nice work on the grille!!

i have the same front bar and i was just wondering if you or anyone knows whether or not you can fit fog lights to that particular bar???

is it just a simple cut out job, mount, then wire it up?

does anyone kno wat a body shop would charge or how hard it would be to do yourself?

thanks, -marcus.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
thanks for the comments.you can buy a vy calais or vy series 2 berlina insert to replace the series 1 black insert from holden or wreckers.just unclip the existing one & clip the new one in.they insert from the back of the bar.
cheers
warrick

Attachments

• DSCF1238.JPG
    DSCF1238.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 1,443

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Very smart looking might have to look at doing the same on my vy exec when i get my new grill insert from a vt S2 Calais

Batemada

If you are intending to fit a Calais grille from a VY Series 2 (although you mention VT S2 which I'm sure you don't mean,) you will find that the grille will not fit the Exec grille opening. I tried exactly that swap recently and the Berlina/Calais grilles are narrower and deeper than the Execs. The width is about 25 mm difference, depth is similar.

Of course, you might try cutting the centre out of the Calais grille and fitting it to the Exec surround, but the chrome trim still wont fit.

I am in the throes of converting my VY 2 Berlina to a VY 2 Calais. I recently bought the upper and lower grilles and will be selling off the Berlina parts when I have finished the conversion. The lower grille has the recesses for the foglights, but the lights will be remaining on the car. Unfortunately, today I found out that swapping the lower grilles between the two models is much more involved than it seems so the job will be undertaken when I can find the time.